Quiet Internal HD

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Jordan Walker, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Jordan Walker

Jordan Walker Member

Does anyone have any quiet/silent internal hard drive suggestions for my UHD3000? I am currently using two 8TB WD Red Pros. They’re great, very reliable drives but do get quite noisy and also run very hot after awhile. I’m curious if anyone knows of something that is equally reliable and fast but will not be so loud. Thanks!

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I'm running 2 x WD 10TB Ultrastars (DC HC510's) which I swap (music and films) in my Z1000 Pro - very quiet.

Jordan Walker likes this.
  3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I have 5400 drives, generally quieter.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I keep repeating it: For noise use a 2.5 inch HDD with an 2.5 => 3.5 adapter. The fan can be set to low (or turned off). Do this for music.
    HDD performance is not a real factor of importance with any media player.

Phil181 likes this.
  5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I thought too. But I got my drives on a good offer through Amazon to see how they performed (7200 drives can perform better) and they operated withing my setup to see what noise they generated. Hardly any decernible noise that I could hear and performance was great both for playback and for transfering large files to them, so I kept them

Jordan Walker likes this.
  6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

But they tend to be much more expensive size for size, as do SSD's