Question About Collections and Categories

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Hi I am just wondering if there is a way I can add movies that are part of a Collection to a category without it showing the entire collection? Cause when watching The Marvel Cinematic universe. If I sort it by date so I can watch it in order the collections don't make sense.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes of course, categories are separate from collections - but why don't you just try it?

3. Nicholas Hewitt

I did but it still shows them in collections inside the category which I don't want. Even if i sort it by date it still shows the collections, which makes no sense.

4. Markswift2003

1. Create a Category

2. Go into a collection and highlight the movie you want in the category

3. Press "Menu" and select "Add to Category"

5. Nicholas Hewitt

I know how to do it but I don't want it to be a collection when I ad it because with the marvel Universe some movies continue in other collections. Like one of the spider-man movies continues the story/side story after the Avengers film. but when all my marvel movies show them all in collections inside the category. Like Captain America collection, and spider-man collection so when sorting by date to watch them in order is useless cause it shows the collections as well, and the movies in the collections came out at different times.

6. Markswift2003

I'm really not sure what you're doing wrong - are you adding an entire collection to the custom category rather than individual movies?? :confused:

Mabon likes this.
  7. Nicholas Hewitt

No I'm adding individual movies but they're showing as collections in my category.

8. Markswift2003

I just created a custom category called "Test" and added The Amazing Spider-Man from The Amazing Spider-Man Collection and Ant-Man from the Ant-Man collection and that gave me a custom category with just those two movies in...

9. Nicholas Hewitt

What I'm saying is adding all the movies separately cause my custom category is marvel universe, so all of the spider-man and all the avengers movies shows collections for those movies in my category. They're should be a way to turn off collections for a category seeing as how sorting by date makes no difference because it puts the whole collection in the spot the first movie of that collection came out. Kinda dumb if the last movie was 10 years after the next movie beside the collection.

10. Nicholas Hewitt

Guess I'll just have to disband them all from their collections.

11. Markswift2003

Right, I'm with you now - can you not disband the existing collections and make a new custom collection rather than a category - then you can order the movies as you want and the interface is more elegant?

12. Markswift2003

Just checked and Nicholas is right - I didn't realise he was adding all the movies from a collection into a category - even if you do this individually, they appear as the collection in the category.

13. Nicholas Hewitt

Yeah I guess. I just wanted to have it on the main page instead of going into my library. The main page is clean and my library is extensive. With the amount of movies in the marvel universe it would have been better in a category rather then a collection. Also sorting a category or collection separate from your library order would be nice as well.

14. Markswift2003

You can add the new collection to Favourites or add to a category - at least you don't have to trawl the whole library then.

15. Markswift2003

Sounds like the database got screwed somewhere along the line.

Have you tried deleting (disbanding) the offending collections and then either creating again or removing match info from the movies and rescanning?

If you're up on SQL you could create a backup (it's a zip file with a ztb extension) and mess with the database directly. (Make a backup of the backup!!)

16. Markswift2003

Thing is a database can get it's knickers in a twist in many ways and if that happens an editor doesn't really help - you need to take a deeper dive.

But certainly editing theatre.db with DB Browser works perfectly.