[Q] Can i swap between Internal SD to Ext SD ?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by bovoro, Aug 19, 2015.

1. bovoro

bovoro Member

Hello fellas, i have a issue with internal storage i only have 300MB and i was not able to install apps ,thats sucks, but i seen a web that explain its posible to swap internal/external SDs

2. papiguy

papiguy Member

The best should be to modify the firmware in order to give to the user the choice of the location of the apps as I suggested for the Kodi's database in another thread.

3. Scott

Scott Member

You can't even update Apps as no room left !
    When I open Kodi and check Storage there it says 0.0 Available so no wonder Kodi crashes there is No Room to run the app !
    This REALLY needs to be fixed as I don't have that issue with my MX box it emulates the memory and at least has .9G available.

As I posted somewhere else i had not knowingly downloaded video's to the internal SD card and that used all my space so once I found that out kodi does not freeze or lockup. when app manager goto Explorer and check your download Folder on the Flash which is your built in SD card it may have a Movie folder in it that contains movies downloaded through Kodi as mine did.
    i thought I had setup to download to the USB flash drive but it did not in some cases.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. papiguy

papiguy Member

On my box, Kodi shows 1.1 G on a total of 3.5. I did not install any app and the Kodi database is growing fastly. The same problem will probably occur for me in a few months.
    I agree with you, a modification of the system is required.

Do you regularly clean the memory ? (I do this to refresh windows where the system does not the job automatically, and before using PIP, as it needs a "fresh" cache).

5. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

6. devrob

devrob New Member

No, mounting SD card at a place other than /mnt/sdcard is nothing but a business strategy

7. devrob

devrob New Member

Zidoo !!! plz fix it !!!

8. papiguy

papiguy Member

I tried but it doesn't works for a simple reason: the file to be created to redirect the data must be located at the root, while the Explorer cannot access this location.
    I think the correct solution should be:
    - copy of the directory to an USB device as shown by "HOW-TO:Change_settings_folder_for_Android". This can be done using the Explorer, after having created a specific directory.
    - installing an app such as "Terminal Emulator" on the zidoo (Google Play)
    - creating the file "xbmc_env.properties" with the correct path (/mnt/usb/sda1 or sdb1/name of the directory created on the USB device) (*).
    - copy the file xbmc_env.properties.xml to the root ( cd /)
    - rename the directory "userdata" to "userdataold" (to be renamed as before in case of unsuccess)
    - open kodi and check if the system works.

(*) something like
    <xbmc_env.properties>
    xbmc.userdata=/mnt/usb/sda1/kodi/
    </xbmc_env.properties>

Warning: bad use of shell commands may lead to a crash of the system.

I shall try and revert, but this will take some time as I have first to learn how to use shell commands on android systems. Success not guaranteed :confused:.
    Help from the Development Team should be appreciated, and, of course, the best solution should be the possibility given to the user to select the location for the user's data, either by a modification of kodi, or by creating a specific app.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  9. Sarco

I understand, if your devices is not root the only way would be via adb :( or terminal.

10. papiguy

papiguy Member

You are right, I have already installed a terminal emulator, and I need the way to enter into what is sudo mode when using Ubuntu.
    I used the cp command to copy a file from a USB device to another one without facing difficulties. but when I try to copy at / I receive "Read only file system", even using su cp... sudo -> (sudo: not found).
    I suppose I have to change the access rights of the file system from r only to rw ? But I will not try this before receiving further advice.:eek:, I am neither a developper nor a hacker...

11. Sarco

The command is su , but I don't know if there a password or sudo and the command line. Maybe if there a password Zidoo tech can give it to you. I do not have my device so it is hard for me to elaborate. But if command are not present maybe adb via a computer is a best option.

12. Sarco

The easiest way would be rooting your device, but since it void warranty and can make some apk to not behave as intended (ex: some broadcast apk will not work or refused to work at HD, it is a personal choice. Maybe if syslink work with the xbmc properties Zidoo tech could put a link at root and make dir in data folder with proper empty file.

13. papiguy

papiguy Member

As I wrotte above, I got access to the hidden system files using su (no password required by the system) but remained unable to copy something in. So it would be necessary to change the rights, and for safety reason I prefer to stop (denying to users the w access is the sole protection against viruses, the main one being the guy who hold the keyboard and the mouse).

14. warren_wh

warren_wh Active Member Staff Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Dear all, thank you very much support for x9.
    x9 is open the root, can try to install the superuser. Apk, x9 via adb connection method, can be in Settings - System - the About Box - Build number (continuous press 7 buttons on ok, into the Developer options), and then on the disable and enable Usb was debugging, you can pass the adb connection x9.
    3.png 2.png adb.png

15. papiguy

papiguy Member

Thanks a lot Warren.
    As I have already installed a terminal emulator I do not need to connect the zidoo X9 to a computer. I can open the terminal on the TV screen. Only the first step for obtaining the "developer" status of your procedure was necessary. I can now begin to learn commands (there are some differences with Ubuntu) and this will take time... I'm an old newbie :)

16. Sarco

If x9 is root papiguy install superuser apk, then with ES explorer in tools use root explorer and you will be able to create delete anything. First time you select root in tool of ES Explorer a message from superuser will prompt. That will open a shell as root ( you will not see it but Es Explorer will use it to command). Very easy no command to learn.

17. papiguy

papiguy Member

Thanks Sarco