Problems with music player via HDMI with TV off (above all Neo Alpha)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I do see various problems with music player via HDMI when the TV gets turned off.
    They all seem EDID related.

My TV in this case is a Philips OLED which has the nasty habit to do several EDID handshakes when in standby mode. The Zidoo does not react well on those in fact they should just be ignored as it does with analog output via a DAC on HiFi models.

What I do see:
    - Playing music in MP3, FLAC, DTS or other PCM formats each EDID exchange drops the output, resyncs and starts playback again. After turn off this happens up to 5 times in about 10 minutes.
    - Using Neo Alpha with the HDMI-audio/DSD port playing SACD with MCH DSD will mostly fall back to 2CH DSD => PCM output but in fact sometimes it may come back in MCH DSD as the final result. No idea what the luck factor is. On other players MCH DSD=> PCM just works.

OK then it is easy "just do EDID spoofing and grab the correct TV+AMP EDID and store that one". Nice try but I think Zidoo implemented this feature just for the Video player and ignores it altogether for Audio with Music Player.
    Switching On Zidoo with the TV Off (power disconnected) works with MCH DSD so it is not a EDID of the AMP problem. Why not using that? I need to plug in/out then the TV physically as the bloody AMP will switch on the TV via HDMI-CEC which can't be disabled. This is needed for ARC and switching audio output to the AMP only automatically.

As is the Neo Alpha is unusable with my setup for a main feature being MCH DSD via HDMI output (TV off).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022