Problems playing 4K from QNAP and samba

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Andreti, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Andreti

Andreti New Member

Hi, I've just received a Z)S. I've updated to the last version available of the firmaware.
    I have a QLED Q90R in the same room attach to the same switch.
    I have my UHDs movies in a remote (other room) QNAP server. With the Samsung TV and DLNA I can see the movie without problems, however with the Zidoo and samba it's impossible. It stops and can't reproduce.
    The same movie in a HDD connected via USB works fine, but it doesn't work with samba.
    Does anyone have the same problem?
    I considering to get back the product to Amazon

2. Johnwoto

Johnwoto Member

Hi

I have a 4 bay QNAP which is connected to my x20 and z9s - I have all my 4K HDR on the internal HDDs of the x20 - what i could do is put one of the films on the server and stream it, will try one of the biggest file sizes around 80Gb,

see how it goes and will let you know

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I don't have a QNAP, but I use Western Digital My Cloud EX2s which with current firmware run Samba v4.0.9 (latest is v4.11) which obviously allows SMB v1, 2 or 3 to be used.

The Zidoo only runs to SMB v2, but that's absolutely fine for pretty much any file you care to throw at it.

Not sure how the QNAPs are configured but check you're not restricting your SMB protocol to v1 - the Western Digitals allow you to specify the maximum version of SMB which under normal circumstances you'd just leave on 3.

The Zidoo certainly has no problems playing extremely high bitrate files from SMB shares - the transfer rate is well in excess of what's required, so I think you'll need to do a bit of digging in the QNAP.

Also, presumably both switches are 1000base-T?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. max_mo

max_mo New Member

I have z9s and qnap. On Qnap only allowed guest access (didn't change any more smb settings). Zidoo from qnap (smb) plays any movies (4k hdr full blu-ray 80-90 gb) without problem. Maybe you use 100 mbit switch between devices?
    Qnap for dlna protocol transcoding video, so for dlna 100 mbit may be enough.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. kam186

kam186 Member

I'm streaming UHD using QNAP without problem. Items need to consider like network cable (best use cat6), switch (use giga), slow it down devices like use router instead of switch (both QNAP and Zidoo connect same switch), avoid mass copying files/downloading in progress from QNAP. Last restart NAS or off/on switch. Hope this is help.

6. Andreti

Andreti New Member

Thanks a lot my friends.
    Finally I bought a new switch, use cat 6 cable and it works fine!

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Fantastic! :)