Problem with x265 playback

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Martin Musko, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

I have a playback problem with x265 files (see attached file) It plays on any PC but not on zidoo.
    Hopefully someone can help!

Attached Files:

2. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

If I use the zmdc player and not the "external" one everything is ok!

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I know it doesn't help with your Z9S, but just for reference, it plays perfectly on a Z9X.

I tried on a Z9S and yes - a kind of indescribable mess on screen.

In the early days of the Z9X there was a very similar issue with certain files.

nc88keyz likes this.
  4. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

Do I have to do anything special to get this registered as a problem report?

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's probably already been picked up on the forum, but an email to service@zidoo.tv wouldn't hurt.

I don't know what, if any, development is still going on with the 1296 boxes but this is not an issue with x265 files - the Z9S plays x265 and HEVC files with no issues - it's just some incompatibility with that particular file, however it was encoded.

6. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

I have written numerous mails to service@zidoo.tv describing the software bug. The only response to three of the mails was: Have you installed the latest firmware, which of course I had from the beginning. My request to check the above sample on their own Z9S and confirm the bug was never answered.
    Very disapointing!

7. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I downloaded this test file and tried on X9s, looked like poltergeist static. installed zdmc 19.1 and turned off external player and played fine. The resolution is 1480x1080 px 1.37 ratio, 23.976 frame rate. Have you tried repairing the header on the .mkv container maybe. The results would make sense since the X9s/Z9s share very similar SOC RT1295/1296

From Mediainfo:

General
    Unique ID : 140413214156408005610130018160965307799 (0x69A299F3973507F957E0254FC817CD97)
    Complete name : A:\ZIDOO\X9S\00000.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4
    File size : 62.8 MiB
    Duration : 4 min 10 s
    Overall bit rate : 2 102 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2021-11-21 08:39:01
    Writing application : mkvmerge v59.0.0 ('Shining Star') 64-bit
    Writing library : libebml v1.4.2 + libmatroska v1.6.4
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main@L4.1@Main
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 4 min 10 s
    Bit rate : 2 088 kb/s
    Width : 1 480 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.370
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.054
    Stream size : 62.4 MiB (99%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Text
    ID : 2
    Format : PGS
    Muxing mode : zlib
    Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
    Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
    Duration : 2 min 23 s
    Bit rate : 42.6 kb/s
    Count of elements : 101
    Stream size : 747 KiB (1%)
    Default : No
    Forced : No

8. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

Thank you for your answer! I have remuxed the file using mkvmerge=> no change. I confirm that the file plays using ZMDC internal player, but controlling playback (Start, stop, fast forward etc) in that case is cumbersome. Therefore I want to stick to the "external" player.

9. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Here is info about Kodi Internal player:
    from kodi wikipedia

Video player cores[edit]
    Kodi uses one multimedia video player "core" for video-playback. This video-player "core" for video-playback is an in-house developed cross-platform media player, "DVDPlayer", which was designed to play back DVD-Video movies, and this includes support native for DVD-menus, (based on the free open source libraries code libdvdcss and libdvdnav). This FFmpeg based video-player "core" today supports all widespread mainstream formats. One relatively unusual feature of this DVD-player core is the capability to on-the-fly pause and play DVD-Video movies that are stored in ISO and IMG DVD-images or DVD-Video (IFO/VOB/BUP) images (even directly from uncompressed RAR and ZIP archives), from either local harddrive storage or network-share storage.[6][10][11]