Prefered way of sorting Albums under Artists

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Reelyator, Feb 26, 2024.

Tags:
?

How do you want your Albums to be sorted (under Artist)?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2024.
  1. in chronological order

32.1%
  2. in alphabetical order

14.3%
  3. i want the possibility to select between chronological and alphabetical order

53.6%
  1. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

As this discussion just came up in the "New version 1.2.50/1.2.80 for DMP-A6/DMP-A8 release" Thread.

Votes in this poll are displayed public. Poll ends on 2024-03-04.

2. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

The most sensible thing should be to have an option so that everybody would be happy

Knut G and Reelyator like this.
  3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

Chronological does not make sense for classical recordings. For instance, I have over 70 recordings of works by Giuseppe Verdi. Sorting them by date is meaningless. All versions of Aida need to be sorted together, followed by all versions of Attila, then all versions of Don Carlo... The same would be true of symphonic works by Mahler: all versions of Symphony No. 1, should sort before Symphony No. 2... till you get to the unfinished Symphony No. 10.

As has been asked elsewhere, which date would be used for sorting? Date of composition, date of performance (relevant for live recordings of Opera or concerts) or date of release of the album/CD/download. There are just too many variables.

LJClark likes this.
  4. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

You could decide yourself what date is most relevant for you and then tag the album accordingly.

For me it is the original release date of the album.
    For you it might be the birthdate of the composer.....or his sister.....or her dog.

5. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

But there's absolutely no need to re-tag all my music if it's sorted alphabetically.

6. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

tagging is not sorting....two different things

7. db4

db4 New Member

While we're making sorting suggestions, removing 'the' from the artist sort would be nice. i.e., The Who should be sorted under 'W'

Reelyator and Nutul like this.
  8. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Fully with you!

I just added a corresponding post to the DMP-A6 Feature Request Thread. I hope the Zidoo Developers consider this.

db4 likes this.
  9. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

.....And the Winner is:

1st Place (54%):
    The best solution would of course be to have the flexibility to select between chronological and alphabetical sorting of Albums under Artist.

2nd Place (32%):
    Albums under Artists in CHRONOLOGICAL Order while The Artists are sorted ALPHABETICALLY.
    For me the most logical way of displaying music collections because it shows the history and developement of a band/artist.

3rd and last place (14%):
    The current Alphabetic way of sorting albums is obviously the least desired option of all.

I hope the Developers will consider the result of this poll for the coming improvements and updates of the Eversolo Software.

10. THXjay

THXjay Member

How about an option to sort by date added.

11. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

...sounds useless to me. I would never ever sort my albums by "date added". But that is just my personal preference.

12. The Wolfe

The Wolfe New Member

Eversolo needs to simply honor the sort tag. Then you can sort things however you want. It fixes a number of issues I have with this device... it would mean I could remove prefixes like A and The and I could sort artists correctly... by their last name.

I simply can't understand why they're not honoring this tag, it's mind numbing.

13. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

Yes, that’s pretty standard. iTunes automatically puts “who” as the artist sort tag, and defaults to artist sort tag for album artists.

I prefer year-album as my file structure under album artist. I use Jriver as my metadata and storage manager.

What tags does the DMP-A6 read, and can it handle custom tags ?