Popping sound with external dac

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by edliw, Nov 29, 2023.

1. edliw

edliw New Member

Hi all, I am having some loud pops when switching tracks on Tidal or changing a radio stations, DMP-A6 connected to Atoll DAC100SE with coax or optical, the same. Also no difference when toggling fixed sampling rate, or mqa settings, always the loud pop similair to dropping a needle at turntable, what is it and is it fixable? Besides that it’s all ok, songs play without any problem.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Looks like a problem with your external DAC: it closes and re-opens the device, causing the annoying clicks / pops. See if there is some driver settings, such as "Keep stream open" or "Always active" or anyting in the lines... (assuming you are on Windows)

3. edliw

edliw New Member

Thanks, but I gues I could work with these settings only when using a PC to USB input of the DAC, at least there is a driver for Windows on DAC manufacturer's site. Anyway the pops/clicks are mostly when I quickly change tracks (sometimes silent, sometimes louder, both or one channel only). I think they are not there if I just play a full playlist or an album from Tidal (only faint click, barely hearable). As if there would be some buffer at DMP-A6 or simply no break for DAC to close/re-open as you said. I have never experienced that with my other DACs (but sold them as DMP-A6 sounded just as good to my ears), now only this Atoll left, but there is nice synergy with my tube amp. Also this DAC never caused such sounds with other streamers I had, nor with CD or TV which are connected at the same time. Anyway later today I should have Musician Draco on loan, will check and report back.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Nutul likes this.
  4. edliw

edliw New Member

No Draco for me :( shop sold it... Anyway I hooked A6 to the Atoll DAC with an USB cable and that seems to be the remedy, no pop sounds... strange?

5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Hooking it up via USB takes advantage of the asynchronous transfer, where the DAC requests data when needed, therefore eliminating underruns. Also has bigger bandwidth, as coax / optical are limited by standard to 24/192 (but that's in optimal conditions, generally, so that I, personally, treat them as reliable "only" up to 24/96).
    IMO using USB to connect DACs nowadays is the best choice.

6. pippo pluto

pippo pluto New Member

same issue for me, I've been using an old DAC for more than 10 years and I've never had this problem.
    I only use coax with the output fixed at 44.1 kHz.
    the DAC (Pass Labs D1) is not upgradeable and has no USB inputs.
    It's a very annoying problem and my speakers are absolutely not happy.

7. edliw

edliw New Member

Yes, my Atoll dac is also rather old, and to be honest also with USB it pops/clicks but not so often and loud. I guess we have to live with that, and my Atoll DAC sounds so good, much better than DMP-A6 dac at RCA out. A6 was better with XLR out, so I sold all my XLR capable DACs, I am glad I left the last one Atoll :). Anyway the Audio GD NFB1 (2015) is on the way so will compare again. I was happy as I hoped DMP-A6 is all I need, but in some cases and connections with my amps there is better synergy with external DAC I guess...

8. pippo pluto

pippo pluto New Member

Unfortunately for me it is extremely limiting and I cannot live with it.
    honestly I'm much more attached to the rest of my system than to the new arrival.
    the tweeters of my Dynaudio confidence c4 are more important than the convenience of seeing the image of the album playing, so if I don't find a workaround as soon as possible thanks to Amazon I will make a return.
    I don't know whether to try opening a post dedicated to this problem.
    I really like the touch and feel of this streamer and would hate to part with it.
    I think it can be related to the thread "Eversolo music player doesn't play very beginning of song file"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Nutul likes this.
  9. edliw

edliw New Member

Yes I would be worried too, you have much more expensive system than I do, maybe we can ask @mirror to let us know if this is fixable. I also never had that with any other streamer before. My DAC was perfectly fine, so there must be something Eversolo can do about that.

Yes also thought about that (not playing beginnig of a song), maybe it now plays but with loud pop when switching bitrate/frequency or something. Maybe they can either mute the pop or play the beginning of a song.

Found it, @mirror said in that thread:
    "This is about performing 200ms mute on the DAC module during start playback to prevent pops, when switching between different sampling rates and formats
    We will optimize it in the next firmware"
    So maybe they fix one thing with a problem to another thing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    pippo pluto likes this.
  10. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The DAC latency setting has been rolled out in the latest firmware. Try it and see if it solves your issue ?

11. edliw

edliw New Member

You mean the setting in the outputs? The "sample rate switch latency" is only available for USB output, but not for SPDIF.

12. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Apologies I assumed the topic was about USB connected DACs.

13. edliw

edliw New Member

My DAC can utilize it, will check later. But @pippo pluto does not have USB input in his DAC.

14. pippo pluto

pippo pluto New Member

Yes I only use coax with the output fixed at 44.1 kHz.
    Maybe this can solve the issue if they can provide if it is feasible the same setting on coax/spdif

Really thank a lot!

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

pippo pluto likes this.
  16. pippo pluto

pippo pluto New Member

It's feasible in your opinion a solution to fix this issue?
    I like the A6 but remember every time to put in mute before change an album or a track is very frustrating

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that (for Windows users, that is...) some drivers offer the possibility to keep the DAC always ON, as some DACs switch themselves off as a stream terminates, and upon switching back on (as the new stream kicks in) they a) click / pop, and b) they need some time to switch to the correct bit-depth / samplerate (missing the very beginning of the stream).
    I do not experience any click / pop, nor I miss the beginning of the tracks with my DAC Z8; which is of the same ESS family of the DAC chip in the A6, and the product is from the same manufacturer (Eversolo).
    I believe these problems are due to a (slightly?) difference in the implementation of the circuitry surrounding the DAC chip, making it more difficult - if not impossible - to be fixed by a software change.

18. pippo pluto

pippo pluto New Member

Thanks for your kindly but loss of hope reply.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  19. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

As I said at the very beginning:
    I seem to remember that (for Windows users, that is...) some drivers offer the possibility to keep the DAC always ON
    You can search yourself for such a topic, if really interested.

20. Charles C

Charles C New Member

also did you have the alpha firmware, notice if you enable the peq it causes huge load on the cortex a55 and you can hear some pops and sizzle when you adjust the peq.