Oscars demotion!

Discussion in 'NEWS&Activities' started by Netmask, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

As a former sound mixer (re-mixer in USA term) and location recordist and sound designer, this demotion of live coverage of craft work by the Oscars is ridiculous.

As an old colleague of mine would say “Have you ever heard the audience whistling a 2 shot coming out of the theatre! “ it will of course be the music. I think everyone in this group and many others see a film in its totality vision and fantastic surround and atmosphere sound. Along of course with acting, performance and writing. Oh well that’s my b*tch for the day. Do read the article.

https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/film-sound-groups-criticize-insensitive-oscars-demotion?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Completely agree. One of my best friends is a retired dubbing mixer and I hold him entirely responsible for my choice (and expense!) of speakers in my cinema after his dubbing theatre was upgraded to the same make.

He went from old Tannoys to PMC MB1s with Bryston amps and as I'm sure you'll appreciate the sound was simply stunning - although if I'm honest, not as good as an adjacent studio that used the same speakers I have (IB2s) but the room had been tuned by Munro Acoustics.

Having seen firsthand the work that goes into recording, crafting and mixing soundtracks I'm with you all the way on this.

Netmask likes this.