Not all resolutions being passed through.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Oldpainless, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

I know we seem to have been relegated here in the DR thread but....:)

Can anyone point in the direction that describes what resolutions will be passed through and which won't using match framerate and resolution?

480p/576p is not being passed through, some (most) 720p also, and even some 1080p content...not sure if it's related to the resolution/aspect ratio/framerate of the file.

Where the res is not being passed through it stays at 2160p but changes the framerate to match the content.

@Markswift2003 any ideas/pointers?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It depends on two things - the HDMI spec and the EDID.

For example, in the HDMI spec, 720x480 is only supported interlaced at 60Hz, 720x576 is interlaced at 50Hz and 1280x720 is progressive but only at 50/60Hz.

So if you get 480, 576 or 720 files at 23.976fps, they have to be scaled to 1080p to show at the correct framerate.

It gets further complicated by non standard aspect ratios where the horizontal resolution is used to define the mode.

Available resolutions and refresh rates are further defined in the EDID (which reflects the display's capabilities).

Oldpainless likes this.
  3. Oldpainless

Yeah, I had a feeling.......

Thanks as always.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. Oldpainless

@Markswift2003

Hi Mark, sorry to be a pain, but why wouldn't this file passthrough at 1080p? Is Zidoo reading the horizontal or vertical resolution to determine what action to take? This file is in 1.37.1 aspect ration (4.3 roughly speaking). I would have thought it SHOULD take it's cue from the vertical resolution, not the horizontal.

Video
    ID/String : 1
    Format/String : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format_Profile : Main 10@L4@Main
    CodecID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration/String : 1 h 36 min
    BitRate/String : 8 497 kb/s
    Width/String : 1 464 pixels
    Height/String : 1 080 pixels
    DisplayAspectRatio/String : 4:3
    FrameRate_Mode/String : Constant
    FrameRate/String : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    ColorSpace : YUV
    ChromaSubsampling/String : 4:2:0
    BitDepth/String : 10 bits
    Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.224
    Default/String : Yes
    Forced/String : No
    colour_range : Limited
    colour_primaries : BT.709
    transfer_characteristics : BT.709
    matrix_coefficients : BT.709

UPDATE: Just checked 1080p 1.33.1 and 1.66.1 aspect ratio files, and same as above - it outputs 2160p rather than 1080p.

So it seems, as an example, any 1.33.1 file in 480p/720p/1080p is outputted at 2160p.

I can't see how this is not a bug personally. Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes I agree this should output at 1080p.

I seem to remember tacking this years ago with the devs.

The logic is based on horizontal resolution because of cropped content so should be something like:

If x <= 720 output in SD if frame rate/scan type allows else next available resolution

Else If x <= 1280 output in 720p if frame rate allows else next available resolution

Else If x <= 1920 output in 1080p

Else output in 2160p

Or something ;)

I forget where the conversation ended but honestly trying to get this sorted while we have so many fundamental issues with the BPD SOC will be like flying to the moon.

At the end of the day, you're never actually watching in 1080p - if you're watching non-4K on a 4K TV, something has to upscale, either the TV or the Zidoo or the amp. The TV is often the worst at it and the Zidoo is very good.

Personally I only match frame rate - I output everything in 4K.

Oldpainless likes this.
  6. Oldpainless

Ok, well, as they say, you never know.