Closed Noob Question - How do I access Z10 Pro files?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by AngryVirginian, Nov 13, 2021.

1. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

How can I access Z10 Pro files from a Windows 10? E.g., I want to copy the screenshots out. I enabled the SAMBA server on the Z10P but can't connect to it.

Thanks,

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If the Samba server is enabled it's then just literally just a Samba server sitting on the network so even Windows 10 should manage to find it!!

If Windows 10 is just shrugging its shoulders (in the way Windows 10 is apt to do), open a window and type the IP address of the Zidoo in the address bar preceded by two back slashes.

For example: \\192.168.0.10

3. muha

muha Active Member

4. Markswift2003

Just double checked on a Win10 PC here and nope, didn't have to mess with anything - just put in the IP address.

5. AngryVirginian

No luck here. Still cannot get in with \\192.168.0.XXX. I have a Unifi network. Wondering whether anything is blocking it.

6. muha

muha Active Member

7. muha

muha Active Member

[Network Place (Samba) Share] How to access the files on Network Devices using SMBv1 in Windows 10 ?
    1. Open Control Panel in your PC/Notebook.
    2. Click on Programs.
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
    4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.
    6. Click the OK button.

8. AngryVirginian

Still no dice. The SMB 1.0 client was already enabled. I can see ZD_SAMBA when I clicked Network in Windows. Clicking on the icon will result in "The network path was not found" error. Same as when typing in \\ZD_SAMBA in Windows Explorer.

Typing in \\192.168.10.64 in Windows Explorer resulted in "Unspecified error."

The webpage works from http://192.168.10.64:9528/

9. muha

muha Active Member

Is SMB visible and accessible through Media Center on Z10Pro?

10. AngryVirginian

Yes, I can see it. From Media Center, I see ZD_SAMBA and I can browse to the files. Trying \\ZD_SAMBA\Share\Storage in Windows errored out.

11. muha

muha Active Member

How big is your HDD and how many files you have?

12. AngryVirginian

No hard drive installed yet in Z10 Pro. Just trying to get screenshots out.

13. AngryVirginian

I think that I resolved it. Had to map a drive to \\ZD_SAMBA\Share in the Win10 PC

User name: .\root
    Password: whatever is setup in the Zidoo.

muha likes this.
  14. AngryVirginian

Nope. Just tried to do it through Windows. It should not be this hard.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  15. Markswift2003

You're right, it absolutely should not.

If the PC and the Zidoo are on the same subnet (and they obviously are if you can see ZD_SAMBA as a network device) there's really no way I can think that this shouldn't just work.

In the Samba Server settings have you got Enable Password disabled?

upload_2021-11-13_23-53-9.png

16. AngryVirginian

@Markswift2003, I tried both with password required and not. Got it working with password required.

Another note: the Samba server constantly disappears from the Network screen in Windows. I have to go into the Z10Pro to disable and the enable Samba server to get it to show up.

17. muha

muha Active Member

Try to access with another device android or linux based. Easiest way is to test with android mobile phone or tablet. If it's working flawlessly than it is Windows/PC realted problem, if not than Z10Pro.

18. Markswift2003

Couldn't be an IP address conflict could it?

19. AngryVirginian

Nope. However, I mounted the Samba share on my Synology NAS and it seems to be working a lot better than directly on Windows.

20. Markswift2003

Wow - really weird...