No sound during HDMI Record

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Thor Zollinger, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Thor Zollinger

Thor Zollinger New Member

Hi Guys, I've read through all of the threads I could find on recording and sound and still can't get mine to record sound at all. I'm using a CableOne generic HDMI cable tuner, which has no internal settings for the type of audio output. I have audio set to RAW in the Zidoo so I can hear it on the TV, but it doesn't record. I also tried PCM recording (no sound audible on the TV) and it didn't record any audio that way either. Are there any more settings I can try?
    Thanks, Thor

2. warren_wh

warren_wh Active Member Staff Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Hi Thor,Try to plug hdmi in cable after x9 boot.

3. Thor Zollinger

Ok, I tried that three different ways, but it still doesn't record the audio.
    Tonight I'll try another type of cable box as a source, maybe try a component video to HDMI adapter I've got and see if the audio format changes to one that will work.

4. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

I don't think you can bypass HDCP with zidoo.

5. Thor Zollinger

OK guys, I got it working under specific circumstances, which are as follows:
    Set the Settings / System / Sound to RAW
    The Zidoo must be in HDMI IN mode showing the video you want to record
    The source (CableOne Box for my tests) must be ON and transmitting
    THEN un-plug and re-plug in the HDMI IN cable
    Now you can record and the audio records too like it's supposed to.

I also found that my Component Video to HDMI Converter puts out 720x480 and can be recorded the same way.
    Sarco, as I understand it, Component Video doesn't carry the HDCP encoding and using a converter from Component to HDMI can eliminate it from the signal.

Moderator: I'm hoping you guys can fix this bug because HDMI recording is why I purchased the Zidoo over everything else. It's your strongest selling feature.
    Please fix this problem, I don't want to spend the rest of my life unplugging and plugging in my Zidoo every time I want to record something.

6. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

You are right for component not carrying HDCP but sound will only be stereo. You can find HDMI spiltter that rip HDCP too. I have send back my unit because of malfonction and can not check if recording of rip HDCP video are recorded in HDsound, but If I remember well record are only 2ch AAC format anyway.

7. Thor Zollinger

As a note, I also found that record only works with larger of the CableOne boxes and not the simple one. I get an error and no sound.

8. papiguy

papiguy Member

Up to now I did not have problems with sound, either for playing or for recording.
    Last firmware being installed, MP4 recording issue being solved, and technical spec of Zidoo X9 stating "True Dolby&DTS" (amazon), I changed the audio output of my Satellite Box to DTS, and....
    ... it works, but only for playing.
    When trying to record, no warning is displayed and recording is processed as for "stereo". But playing the record produces a beautiful silence.
    Having the possibility to record with an Avermedia device, I could not record the same source, a warning being displayed "Audio source not compatible".

As Thor Zollinger, I purchased Zidoo X9 (to replace my Avermedia HDMI MP4 recorder as an upgrading of my audio-video equipment) for two main reasons:
    - the compatibility with DTS: OK for playing, failed for recording (moreover quality of records, even being acceptable, is lower than with my Avermedia)
    - the possibility to upload files to NAS: failed due to dramatically low transfer rate.
    Hopefully, I did not uninstall my Avermedia recorder... With Zidoo X9 I got a choice: for recording video with high quality, I use Avermedia but the size of a film is between 8 to 13 GB, and for video that do not need the highest quality I shall use Zidoo X9 to save space on my NAS.
    Thus, I am not completely disappointed, and as the Development Team appears to be reactive (within the limits of what hardware allows), we may expect some improvements in a near future.

9. Scott

Scott Member

I had to set a cable box I tested to Other setting and Not Dolby setting and then I was able to record a video with audio.