New version v1.0.0.56 for DAC-Z6/DAC-Z8 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by mirror, Jan 30, 2024.

1. walloon

walloon New Member

I had the exact same error message with a USB stick formatted in ExFAT on my Mac. I had to format in FAT32 on my Ubuntu server (I don't have any Windows device) then it worked.

bwdst3 likes this.
  2. walloon

walloon New Member

BTW, I decided to upgrade to .56 even if it's an interim, just in case the "Optimized the system stability" are useful (although I don't face any stability issues).

The VUs are indeed ridiculous.

3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The problem seems to be that Mac unzips/extracts the contents automatically without telling you (it seems to think you might want to do that...).
    I don't know how to tell it not to do so, but others have experienced the same issue and solved.
    The file must be named exactly like this: EVERSOLODAC.PKG, and must be on a FAT32 usb stick. Probably better if the stick is empty / has nothing else on it.

Peter Wallop likes this.
  4. walloon

walloon New Member

Not really. I downloaded EVERSOLODAC.PKG on my mac and it was not automatically unzipped. I formatted the USB stick on the mac (ExFAT), copied the file on it and tried to upgrade the Z8 but it failed. Then I formatted the USB stick with ubuntu in FAT32, plugged back the USB stick on the mac and copied the same file on it, and that worked.

5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I assumed you had correctly formatted to FAT32, and not ExFAT, and focussed only on the extracting issue having been reported several times. Happy to hear you succeeded, though.

6. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that Eversolo should come up with a proper firmware update
    I can't actually use the four Mono VU meters for very much, now get rid of the ugly color spots, and fixed volume is also a much missed option
    But although several users have mentioned this, Eversolo has not adopted it at all

Daaan and Nutul like this.
  7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

No, my dear, you're not alone. I demand that too!
    @mirror ...
    looks like the devs have pushed out something totally useless (and ugly, TTYTT) just to keep on their word about the upcoming release for the DACs...
    Not quite good, I'd say.

8. Peter Wallop

Peter Wallop Active Member

Firstly, thanks to Nutul (again!) for emphasising the importance of the precise name of the upgrade. I’d been really struggling and was using additional download versions with (1), (2) etc. following ‘PKG’. It feels like a really rookie error now, but I suspect that Nutul’s saved me hours of frustration. Zidoo - it may be worth emphasising the ‘exact name’ requirement in your update instructions - it will be obvious to some, but it wasn’t to me.

I agree that the new VU’s are uninspiring (I quite like the A6, option 4) but, despite being in a minority, I actually welcome the mono display option and am pleased that it’s been introduced. For me, meters are (welcome) eye-candy and, for my use at distance, a single mono fits the screen far better than 2 x stereo meters. My request to the Dev’s would be to tidy up the colour blotches on the ‘old’ meters and maybe offer a few ‘funkier’ versions (both stereo & mono).

Minor suggestions aside, I love this DAC! :)

Nutul likes this.
  9. Tien Tien

Tien Tien New Member

One thing interesting I've found out while flashing new FW to the Z8 (when updating from v1.0.0.42 to v1.0.0.52). Initially I tried using a couple of older 4GB and 16GB USB drives, it did not work (both getting "U disk does not have upgrade files" error). It is only until I tried again using a newer 64G USB drive, then the flashing worked. Recently I upgraded to v1.0.0.56 version using a 32GB USB drive. ( Note: All USB drives formatted with FAT32)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024