New owner Z9x

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by techondecks, Aug 2, 2021.

1. techondecks

techondecks New Member

So I had a Zappiti and worked fine but I decide to upgrade to the Z9x due to the fact that it was listed as the ability to play Dolby Vision. I am pairing this unit with a Vava UST projector. Receive the unit last night and set everything up. I downloaded the latest beta firmware and installed it with no problems. I then loaded my video and played some of them and they didn't match the quality as the Zappiti. Colors weren't vibrant, blacks were crushed, and had a washed feeling. I mainly focus on 4k HDR movies via .mkv I kept messing with the color settings and don't know what my unit is suppose to be set at. I then ran into Markswift2003 recommended settings post and everything looks great and probably a bit better than what I had on my Zappiti. Now I'm trying to get Dolby Vision to look just as great but I'm unable to. My Vava projector is not DV capable and only HDR. I was hoping to use the VS10 to decode the DV and display it as HDR. I have downloaded some .ts DV demo videos and they play but the video looks washed like a screen door effect not vibrant. I have my HDR settings on Auto currently but did try VS10 on (DV,HDR) both resulted in the same effect. I'm not familiar with EDID or how to use it. Do I need to do something here or upload a custom EDID? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry I'm not really technically informed with all this.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The basis of using DV on a non DV display is twofold:

1. Convince the Zidoo it can output BT.2020 LLDV - this is easy - choose the BT.2020 LLDV EDID in Display Settings.

2. Convince the display to "decode" this BT.2020 LLDV signal as HDR10 - this may not be so easy - most TVs don't allow it - they require an HDR10 signal from the Zidoo to do that (but the Zidoo is outputting DV, not HDR10). Some projectors will allow you to set HDR manually but if not you need an HDFury device to send a "dummy" HDR signal.

On the other hand, to convert DV to HDR for the projector you will probably be hitting the dreaded VS10 raised black levels. In this case, try setting HDMI Range in Display Settings to "0-255" - this is a bit of a cheat to allow VS10 HDR and VS10 SDR to display without raising black levels.

3. techondecks

techondecks New Member

Thanks for replying.

I tried your settings to just recommended and still no luck. But playing around a bit a got it to display correctly. I didn't use any EDID and left it uncheck. However I did change the HDMI Range Display Settings to 0-255 and now the haze is gone and the color is correct. For the HDR settings "Auto", it's outputting as 3840x2160p @23hz YUV444 10 bits BT2020 HDR10 and for HDR settins "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine(for HDR, DV content) the out is 3840x2160 @23hz YUV444 10bits BT2020 VS10. Which one should I leave it at? I can't tell which image quality is better and is the VS10 Engine actually decoding the DV into HDR?

4. Markswift2003

Leave it on Auto - because with an HDR display, whatever setting you use, DV content will always be converted to HDR using the VS10 engine. Any other settings will just change what happens to SDR or HDR content.

5. techondecks

techondecks New Member

So essentially, is this the same conversion that a vertex 2 does? Will I see a bigger difference if I invest in one? Also I’m not familiar with the whole MEL and FEL, is there a way to find out how a video is encoded before I download it? I have one file, when played, seems like the Z9x is having problems decoding it. It would just constantly flicker HDR on and off.

6. Markswift2003

No, the Vertex 2 doesn't do any HDR/DV conversion at all, it just allows manipulation of EDID, HDR, Dolby Vision parameters etc - it's not a video processor.

Never seen a file flicker between HDR and SDR but that has nothing to do with the enhancement layer.