New firmware v2.0.5 version(beta) for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2018.

1. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

This appears also to me, but I don't think is related to a bad power off.
    My X9S haven't any storage device directly connected, I use it only via LAN.
    Maybe is a bug in the Zidoo power off procedure (app) ?
    Anyway, ursiel, my opinion is that your hard work is welcome! Don't give up!
    Your analysis could be useful for Zidoo developers, I hope they sometimes have a look in the forums, there are a lot of useful bug report, not only complainigs.
    I hope that current chinese holiday will not be a problem...

Sh1no8i and ursiel like this.
  2. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

when i choosed HDMI out 1080p @24Hz and the color space 4:2:0 disappeared
    just like @litlgi74 said, choose others like 1080p @30Hz and back to home screen, and the color space 4:2:0 appear again

3. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Thanks. I know I sound harsh and critical, but that's because this player has such great potential. Sadly, the communication from Zidoo on these issues is beyond bad, and it's frustrating that 3 weeks after I bought this player, I'm no closer to being able to actually use it due to annoying frame drops and other bugs, to speak nothing about the rough usability issues. I'm hoping my posts are in some way helpful. They are not meant to complain, but to help Zidoo find some focus on some things that could make this a more functional player. I have no idea if they are even following this thread, but I hope they are. I'm also assuming that the x10 suffers from the same issues the x9s suffers from, so I hope whatever fixes they incorporate into the x9s firmware they do for the x10 also.

4. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Well you either have a faulty box or its mostly down to your settings in fact possibly your tv settings ?
    As many on other forums have no complaints .

Mine functions no issues at all but i use a Prof Monitor so its kept simple in the chain line of things .
    Albeit 4K as that brings most issues it seems for some .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  5. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

No disrespect... But are you kidding?

We all have faulty boxes... The X9S has been plagued with FW issues. It seems every time they try to fix something... Something else gets broken...

Ursiel is 100% accurate in his findings... Especially when it comes to frame drops and stutter. Color space is also a major issue. His results a repeatable... On any TV... I've confirmed them on a LG OLED, Panasonic ZT60, and a Pioneer Kuro.

In Auto resolution.. 480p content plays at 2160p

Some formats getting squished into 16x9.

And stupid things like if you want the clock off... It has to be disabled everytime you restart the player.

This forum is plagued with complaints and repeatable problems... we've been hoping for solutions to are problems for a long time...

I'm sorry but, giving us a movie scraper does absolutely nothing to solve the real FW problems that many, many users are having...

You probably didnt mean it that way... But posts like yours come across like telling us to sit down and shut up.

These days, we all work harder for our money.. some more than others... I say this because most of us purchased this player based on specs alone. And when these specs don't work as promised or are continually broken... It kind of feels like we have just been robbed with no chance of being made whole again.

ursiel likes this.
  6. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

silly thing is i see none of the issues ppl talk about

but i ONLY purchased the x9s to play 4k hdr atmos/dtxs content,and i only use the media player tab to do it,either via smb or usb hdd

my LG tvs inbuilt mediaplayer is FAR SUPERIOR for anything under 4k,and so i only use it

hence no issues

seriously,why would anyone try to play 480p content on a 4k tv anyways ...image would be so blown out as to be unviewable...wouldnt it ?

DELUCAS and SaskMedia like this.
  7. DELUCAS

Of course there are bugs and issues if you look hard enough you will find
    Not telling any one to sit up or shut up

Just seems hes plagued with many issues more so than others ?
    But many dont have so much ,

For what i use its been great not come across stutters yet and the only ones i find are on one or two tv series which is down to a bad upload file etc .

The only thing i can see to resolve his issue if he is not happy is to return or sell his box
    Or he will end up pulling his hair out in the end if the future updates dont address his on going issues .

There is only so much someone will take before they have had enough .
    And it seems he has tried everything .

8. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I'm sorry, but this is the kind of nonsense we can do without in here. You are not helping. You are part of the problem. Stop trying to dismiss my problems. There is no way "bad box" could cause the issues I have been documenting in here. These issues are clearly firmware-related.

I am not here to whine and complain. I am here to report these issues to Ziddo so hopefully, if they even care, and are reading this thread, they will come back after their holiday and work on some of these issues.

If you don't have any issues, then please stay silent. I and others have made it very clear that this player (and the x10) have some serious flaws that need to be addressed. It would be nice if we could keep this thread focused on highlighting what Zidoo needs to work on, instead of playing the blame game.

9. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

You are also not helping. So because you don't use the box for X means it doesn't matter if it's broken? Great, then why are you saying anything at all? This thread is here to discuss issues with this player, in the hopes that they can get resolved. I have posted videos of boot issues. I have posted configuration comparisons to highlight issues. I have shown that this player has consistent frame drop issues with 23.976 1080p and 2160p across the majority of configurations. Aspect ratio issues. Banding issues.

Not everyone will see these issues. That doesn't mean they aren't there. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I'm getting frustrated now and I'm about done in here. I've tried to help but some of you clearly just want to discredit me. I guess I'll just be returning this box and looking elsewhere. Zidoo doesn't seem to be taking these issues seriously, and neither do some of the users in here.

So you think it's okay for DVD playback to be totally broken just because you personally don't play DVD content on it? This is supposed to be a media player that plays a wide range of content, not just 1080p and UHD. People who buy these boxes have large collections of older files they expect to be able to play. That's the whole point of a media player.

And by the way, I play DVDs on my 55" UHD TV and they look pretty darn nice upscaled. Perfectly watchable. Or do you think I'm going to throw away my entire collection of TV shows on DVD just because I have a UHD TV?

Seriously, this thread is falling apart rapidly. I'm trying to keep it focused but some people just don't want to hear about these issues. Which makes me wonder why they are even here.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  10. DELUCAS

Please re read post 287

11. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

These forums are designed specifically to allow us to share our issues with Zidoo so they can help fix them. How do they get fixed if we don't discuss them? That's why I am posting these issues - so hopefully they get resolved. Your solution is to do nothing.

The issues I have posted about affect all the x9s boxes (and possibly the x10 too). Or do you think it's just my box that for some reason drops frames in regular intervals and displays aspect ratios on DVDs incorrectly? Seriously, I posted a link to a demo video that exhibits banding especially bad and others have tried it and confirmed what I posted. I posted a link to a test video yesterday that anybody can use to check for frame drops. Anybody can take a DVD ISO or VIDEO_TS folder and try playing it and see what happens. Instead, some of you would rather not do any of those things, and just say "I don't have these issues". Yes, you do. It's the firmware, not my individual box.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  12. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I just did. You said no stutters. You're wrong. I have proven the box has frame drops at regular timed intervals. You are not seeing them. That doesn't mean they aren't there.
    There's a difference.

Methodically checking for why things happen and posting results is how things get fixed. Again, you're solution is to do nothing.

13. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

I can confirm the stutters as well.

ursiel likes this.
  14. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I just tested for frame drops in 3D mode (1080p output) with my 23.976 motion bars test. I ran all the same 1080p configurations as I posted on the previous page.

Same results as 2D. Exact same frame drops, to the second, in each configuration.

I also briefly tested 2D 12bit 23.976, and I also got frame drops with 12bit. The timing is different than 10bit, and I didn't want to bother another extensive round of tests honestly. The point is 23.976 has regular frame drops in all deep color modes (and off), both 2D and 3D, all color space modes, in both 1080p and 4k. Other frame rates may be affected also.

I have not tested Kodi/ZDMC as I have no desire to. All my tests were with the Media Center player (the base player that ships with the unit).

I have no frame drop issues with my Mede8er or WDTV Live, nor with my TV's internal player.

This also calls into question all frame rates and configurations imo. I'm done with my testing, and made my point. Zidoo needs to sit down and look at what this and the X10 are putting out for all frame rates in all configurations. Something is clearly wrong here, and I have no idea what other frame rates are affected. At this point I wouldn't be shocked to find out all frame rates are dropping frames. I'm sure somebody though will try and tell me it's my TV or a bad box.

15. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

There is hope, the new Dune player is coming soon.

PS... Your box is broken and your TV sucks... Hahahah

ursiel likes this.
  16. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Browse to a folder with movie files using Home Theatre, then click the right arrow key on the remote to bring up options:

Poster
    Choices
    Copy
    Paste
    Delete
    Cut
    Favor (why not Favorite? - it would fit, and that's what's listed under "Device List" if you click left instead of right)
    Refreash (Pretty sure that should say Refresh)
    Rename
    New
    Viewport
    Setting (Shouldn't this be "Settings" with an "s" at the end?)

17. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I also attempted to briefly test frame drops in ZDMC:

Highlight file > hit menu key on remote > Select "Play using..."
    - VideoPlayer (Default) - motion bars file freezes up immediately and stays frozen - won't play.
    - ZidooPlayer - same frame drops as playing through Media Center.

18. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

And by the way, I play DVDs on my 55" UHD TV and they look pretty darn nice upscaled. Perfectly watchable. Or do you think I'm going to throw away my entire collection of TV shows on DVD just because I have a UHD TV?

i ALSO have a huge library of DVD content

but like i said above ,i use devices better suited to play the lower level content...like a dvd/blray player for disks...or one of the 4 WDTV lives i have around the house...or my LG 4k tv since its 5 or 8 step upscaling is hugely better than even a GREAT device like the WDTV

im not trying to be negative about your experiences ...and others with issues

im TRYING to point out that a lot of what ive read are issues are MOSTLY on lower level content

an analogy here maybe

its like trying to play dx 9 games on dx 11/12 GPUS which are not optomized for dx9 and actually take a big hit in performance playing them

the best way to honestly prove your x9s box is the issue is to test it on a different HDR capable 4k TV ...visit a friend ...visit a tv shop, hint you wannna upgrade but need to test performance out with the Ziddo,if you have to...im quite sure the shop guys would be interested in some new tech they dont get to see

as a Technician ,thats one of the first things id be doing if i hit a brick wall like you have atm

DELUCAS likes this.
  19. DELUCAS

Oh i see stutters and yes i know what they look like as ive reported them and found out it was the file !
    My monitor shows it all
    But what i play back on my Movie collection there are no stutters .
    But not saying they are not there on other peoples systems .
    But what i use it for personaly i do not experience it for me .

As has been said by others either test your box on another tv set to see if they same issues happen or you will have to wait for the next update which i mentioned before hand .

It seems you have tried everything known to man so as to elliminate your issues try on another tv set
    And report back .
    Or you will be going round and round in circles here till the 23rd of feb when another update comes ?
    And then more issues .

Its a cheap £99.00 box if you want something with no issues as such get an Oppo but again they are not perfect either .

And dont forget this is a beta release so will contain issue in the software so expect it .
    And we are helping out we have suggested things to you to try .

20. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

hi ,i went back to earlier posts

i Have an LG 7700 series 55 inch so the model one down from yours if i remeber models correctly...so same HDR10 and Dolby Vision capable....so i should see similar issues

i downloaded that World in HDR and tested it using the above settings and some other variations ,via SMB to storage HDD on the network

and i have to say,i had zero stutter,zero banding in any of the tested variations

this prolly doesnt help your issues any but maybe adds some more stats for the list

dunno if New Zealand model tvs had major changes
    dunno if the way i set my TV up changes things...ie i always disable motion flow since its rubbish

ill try go thru some of the other things youve tested tomorrow see if i can replicate issues(late here now :p )

godalmighty and DELUCAS like this.