New firmware and Android 7 please?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20' started by noki, Aug 20, 2018.

1. PeterCrouch

PeterCrouch Member

with ZIDOO: next week = next month = next year ???

2. ahuman

ahuman Member

Zidoo will have event on this mid Oct in Hongkong, probably they are waiting for this..

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I don't thinks so as FW V1.7.7 is running on RTD1296 already with Android 7.1.1 as the OS.
    So far looking quite stable to me. A bit more optimism is permitted here. ;)

4. rkann

rkann Member

Nice Monkey, did you already tested FW V1.7.7? Is there a zoom feature? I mean possibility to enlarge the image when watching movies (first of all 4K and 3D movies)?

5. Nice Monkey

Yes I have a Z9S box up and running and no there is no zoom feature!

The general thing I can say is that FW 2.1.12 for X9S and FW 1.7.7 for Z9S are very close. To be more precise regarding GUI, functionality and features they are to be called identical. I did neither observe any differences directly related to the difference in OS level between X9S and Z9S at all using the Zidoo bundled applications. The differences are really all in specifically HW related matters: IO speed, ports and above all Video quality aspects.

For Z9S there are a few new settings regarding Video processing as indeed the image processing engine seems to be updated on multiple aspects. RTD1295 and RTD1296 appear to have more differences than just the more capable IO subsystem. Need to watch a lot more movies before making statements but it is all in the area of upscaling/downscaling and using SDR <=> HDR. Any 1080P movies will upscale not only to 4K but also HDR (even the main menu shows up in HDR).

6. rkann

rkann Member

Well, if this is so, and nothing changes, then the lack of a zoom feature in the new firmware finally disappoints in Zidoo. They promised to fix this bug. So it was a lie ...

7. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Is zoom function to get rid of the bars top and bottom ?

8. DELUCAS

Interseting as in poss video Quality adjustments / improvements on the Z boxes
    At moment im still on 1080p :( if the Z squeezes out a pic improvement thats a bonus for me .

9. rkann

rkann Member

Yes, it is.

10. DELUCAS

I understand everyones needs are different etc
    But are you not then zooming the image and loosing a lot of the original footage and decreasing image quality also ?

If watching a Movie .

11. Nice Monkey

Sorry that is not a Zoom function but Aspect Ratio. There are some options added in the latest release inclusing "Full".
    So probably yes done, but Zoom no. :p

@DELUCAS People have different preferences with Aspect Ratios. I like the correct ratio with black bars but some like fills loosing information and quality others even prefer stretching views with deformation.

Zoom is about enlarging parts of the screen using the remote and moving the view around. Have a media player offering this (never used by me).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  12. rkann

rkann Member

Due to my own long experience of using other media players (Dune), the losses of image quality from its increase is insignificant compared to the inconvenience of black bars that take up to 40% of the screen :)

13. rkann

rkann Member

Very encouraging information, Nice Monkey! Have you checked whether this feature Aspect Ratio works for 4K and 3D films?
    The fact is that now on firmware 1.2.28 there is a function "full screen", but it doesn't work on any movies (1080p, 4K, 3D).

14. DELUCAS

Yes agree black bars are loss of your screen area . :(
    But for me i like the way its meant to be seen ie the whole movie without loss ot side bits or and without loss of detail etc.
    But we are all different

Shame the movie makers wont make most films with just a little bar top and bottom ( or 1:85:1 ] it would save the zooming for some and make use of our expensive screen area that sits in the black domain . ;)

15. DELUCAS

I agree i prefer the original look
    But when its zoomed or strectched it all looks a little pete tong in my books .
    Not that ive ever used that function .

16. Nice Monkey

I am talking FW 12.1.12 on X9S and equivalent FW 1.7.7 on Z9S (=Android 7) which will find its way any day to Z20. A bit of patience still needed there I am afraid.
    Sorry but this old man sometimes looses track on all the brands and models used. The topic here also is Android 7. ;)

@DELUCAS Movies are still made for the widescreen in cinema. :D
    That is so nice when using a projector, no black bars and using the mechanical zoom (mine motor powered) one can adjust the projection area accordingly. Truly great Home Theater experience also in 3D. Programmed 3 aspect ratios on my Epson UB5040.

17. rkann

rkann Member

I was glad ahead of time... OK, let's wait, wait, wait...

But the main topic is X20:)))

18. rkann

rkann Member

I agree with you on all positions.:)

19. rkann

rkann Member

Mechanical zoom is not the way, because as a result, the brightness of the image is reduced and only 60% of the projector's matrix is used. But a simple and reliable solution - the Aspect Ratio function (no matter the name of function - or "aspect ratio" or "zoom", or "+/-") does not implement Zidoo in a media player for more than $ 800. This is especially disappointing, since players for $ 50 have this feature, and we have to wait and wait for fixing this bug - next week... , next month... , next year...