network connection behaves like wake on lan

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kenshin, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin Member

@mirror @Markswift2003

hi there,

it's about the zidoo Z9X if i switch off the player the zidoo still remains connected to the network!
    it behaves like a WoL (Wake on Lan) configuration. i can't find an option to change the whole thing!?

i use this option Other / Power mode --> Start up while power plug in !

only when the Power Button is Off then everything is off

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's correct.

When in Standby the network is connected at 10 Base-T and will accept WOL packet only. This is to allow the IP protocol (including the app) to wake it up.

When it is switched on, the network switches to 1000 Base-T with full connectivity.

Switched Off:
    upload_2021-8-20_15-32-12.png

Switched On:

upload_2021-8-20_15-32-52.png

3. Kenshin

Kenshin Member

Yes! it is exactly the same on my z9x when it is on, it shows me 1Gbit / s and when it is off 10/100 Mbit / s
    but on the z9s i was able to switch it off is this no longer possible?

4. Markswift2003

As far as I remember the Z9S did not have WOL which is why the network card turned off on the Z9S but this was a problem using the app or IP protocol - there was no way to turn it back on again.

WOL was added to Z9X so the network card stays on at 10Mbps in standby so now it can be turned on using the app or IP protocol.

As far as I know there's no way to switch off WOL. but why do you want to?

5. Kenshin

Kenshin Member

so when i turn off the device i want it to be completely turned off..

ok if you can't turn it off it's not bad, but it would be better that you can determine what should be turned on and what not

i thought the zidoo switched on to read user data .. but if it is only WoL then ok

with the z9s i had access to the openwrt and there you could switch off the wan option
    if the wan option was switched on, there was also a light 10/100 Mbit / s in the router

thank you for your time

6. Markswift2003

Even in standby all these boxes still have certain parts of the circuitry active - for example the RS232 and IR interfaces, so they are never truly "switched off". Having the network card open to WOL is just an extension of this and there is no other traffic allowed, in or out.

7. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Workaround- Unplug the power?

8. Markswift2003

Workaround for what?

9. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

^^ workaround for this :)

10. Markswift2003

Being pedantic I know, but turning it off isn't really a workaround for turning it off ;)