Need help with naming a single episode that has two parts

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

I know I've seen the answer to this question many times. I just don't want to sift through hundreds of pages. Search results didn't help either. Anyways

I would like to know how to name a two-file episode that is shown as a single episode on TVDB and TMDB. PI know Zidoo has not grasped the concept of these issues cause I brought it up many times and Zidoo dosn't seem to care that people have gaps in their shows. Anyways is it like this?

"TV Show name S00E16.A.mkv"
    "TV Show name S00E16.B.mkv"

Thanks!

2. Bing Err

Bing Err New Member

Following this thread if anyone has an answer. I saw that one of the season of Friends I have has the last episode split in 2 parts and would like them to show up in order.

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Display by Part
    Suffix with DescriptorSeparatorPart)
    Descriptor is optional and can be cd, d, disk, disc, dvd, p, pt, part
    Separator is optional and can be - or _
    Part is the part number 1, 2, 3 etc
    Eg: Blade Runner.disk-2.mkv
    Blade Runner.p2.mkv
    Blade Runner.2.mkv
    an except from HomeTheater Media labels v4.pdf - do a search and you should find it

If the 2 parts are both the same as far as technical specs go and are MKV, you could merge them into one final episode but that can be a bit fiddly sometimes.

4. Bing Err

Bing Err New Member

Thanks.

5. Z49845

Z49845 Member

Is this really working for TV shows? I have tried it, and the sequence of the episodes seems to be random.
    What works for me is something like "Show (1999).S01E01.episode title (1).mp4" and Show (1999).S01E01.episode title (2).mp4". This gives two episodes 01-1 and 01-2. Both have the title, description and picture from part 1.
    This is also recognised from TMM, but is not recognised from McBluna's Home Theater DB tool (it ignores the second part). I have asked about this on the McBluna forum, but there was no answer.
    So i have no solution which works with HT scan, TMM and DB Tool.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Another option is to use MKVToolnix's "Append" function to create the one episode.

7. Netmask

As long as the bitrates and everything else within the files are identical otherwise there can be sync problems etc. Combining subs can often be an issue.

8. Markswift2003

Bitrates will never be the same between two files unless specifically encoded as CBR at the same rate - most content is VBR and this doesn't matter when appending files.

Subs can be an issue if the track numbers differ but that's easy to sort out and in the case above you'd expect them to be consecutive.

Neither should cause sync issues, but yes, a little care needs to be taken.

9. Netmask

Videohelp.com has been full of problems trying to match consecutive parts of a series episode over the years. Part 2 has had a bit of an intro not reflected on the end of part one, subtitles from different sources etc. my personal experience, unless I have ripped myself from a disc has been less than straightforward.

10. Markswift2003

To be fair, probably the last time I did this for real was when we used to have flippers (DVD) :D

Just tried on a couple of episodes I have for testing and it worked ok though...

11. Netmask

It relies on you having control of the sources from legit origins. So many I've read have been from off air recordings where part 2 had slightly different parameters and of course with MKV's you can't do exact frame editing. Last time I did it was on a few older part 1 and 2's of Doctor Who eps....

12. spaceboi

spaceboi New Member

Not sure if this is how you want it to appear, but if you create the file name and add the zidoo formatted bracketed description to the file name it will sort it correctly and display it on your screen page as "1-1" and "1-2" (meaning episode 1, part 1 and part 2)

This is an example of what i did for the Sarah Connor Chronicles, as my first attempt to rip it created 2 files for same episode where there is main audio on 1 file, and the audio commentary on the other:

Sarah Connor Chronicles SCC S01E01
    Sarah Connor Chronicles SCC S01E01 (01#Audio Commentary S01E01)

Now, because it's a TV show, Zidoo will not display the text after the above # on the program page (as it does for movies)... but instead substitutes it with "1-1" and "1-2"

That's the best solution I can offer from how I've been able to deal with some of the "quirks" of the zidoo format options.