1. Dear all,
    As China's National Day approach, we're gearing up for a seven-day holiday from October 1th to October 7th. Please feel free to contact service@zidoo.tv/service@eversolo.com for any urgent messages during the holiday. we'll be back in action and ready to assist you with all your needs starting from October 8th. Thank you for your understanding and continued support!

Warmest regards,

Zidoo & Eversolo Team
    Dismiss Notice

NAS SMB2 produces stuttering in Z9X Pro and Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Visconti12, May 21, 2024.

1. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Z9X Pro (.86) and Z9X (.65)
    NAS by WiFi 6 | Movie files of high bitrate content
    I've just experienced an issue produced by Synology service protocol on its NAS devices: Playback stuttering under SMB2 which doesn't appear in SMB1. Although Synology is encouraging to don't use SMB1 in their devices due to ransomware and malware risk, you've no options but run it.
    Call to developers: Please find the way to make SMB2 fully compatible in your Zidoo boxes.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  2. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Why couldn't this be a Synology issue? Have you reported it to them? I assume you are on their latest firmware?

3. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Yes, I've done it and can't find any solution from their side. All movies played in other MPs or PCs are working fine.

4. Racer X

Racer X New Member

In case of NAS it is always better to use the NFS protocol. It is lighter and faster than SMB, and also have less CPU load.
    Both Synology and Zidoo have the NFS support. Also NFS is native to Linux, on which their operating systems are based.

5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

NFS doesn’t work fine but Synology recommends to use DLNA instead. I’m now testing workarounds. The RAM quality might be another key factor.

6. Racer X

Racer X New Member

I've been using NFS for years with all my media players. It works very fast and stable. Currently it is Z9X Pro with QNAP NAS. There are no any problems with any files, including the largest ones, as well as ISO and BDMV folders.
    If I open the same files from Z9X Pro via SMB, then I also have no problems with either QNAP NAS or Windows computer.
    Thus, I can assume that your problem is in the Synology or network environment.

7. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

At this moment I'm dealing with Synology support which very responsive. Did you setup SMB2 as minimun protocol in your NAS? I'm changing the additional RAM from Crucial one to their compatible D4NESO-2666-4G and see what's the benefit.

8. Racer X

Racer X New Member

I don't remember the current QNAP SMB settings, but I have no problems using Z9X Pro with a computer running Windows 10, which does not support SMB1 by default.
    And yes, my NAS is about 12 years old and has only 512 MB of RAM. :) Which does not prevent it from doing all the necessary work with 4 disks in raid5.

9. darky_zidoo

darky_zidoo Active Member

I use smb on a synology ( smb 2 and up) . I do not have any stuttering, Never had on any ziddo/synology combination. Not ev en through the usb drives connected to the synology.
    You use wifi to stream high bitrate movies?

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Rules are quite simple:

1. Use SMB - NFS used to be a better option in the dark ages due to network overhead, but not these days.
    2. Don't use Wifi - you're asking for trouble.
    3. Use unique Static IP addresses
    4. Maintain and understand your network with particular reference to #3

11. Racer X

Racer X New Member

I don't agree. The use of NFS is still relevant today. Especially when connecting via Wi-Fi.
    There are also no problems when using 5 GHz Wi-Fi AC or AX standards. I'm a big believer in using wired connections as much as possible. But I also use a Wi-Fi connection to watch high-bitrate content in a country house without any problems.

12. Markswift2003

Nothing wrong with NFS as a standard, it's just that these boxes work better with SMB. An offhand and somewhat inaccurate analog might be Rs422 vs RS232 - the choice of which very much depends on hardware and application. But on the face of it, one's like a bull in a china shop and the other has a quick think before charging.

Yeah - Wifi as a last resort then?

13. Racer X

Racer X New Member

Of course. In case a wired connection is not applicable for some reason. Or in some temporary situations.

14. Markswift2003

Ok, so maybe change #2 to:

2. Don't use Wifi unless you really really have to - you're asking for trouble.

Racer X likes this.
  15. Racer X

Racer X New Member

Also, more in-depth knowledge and some experience is required to properly configure the Wi-Fi network for maximum performance.
    And a good router with high-quality hardware and firmware as well.

16. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

This is what's I'm doing now and getting closer. Using Wifi 6 under TP-Link Deco system and forcing 5G connection, it comes to a stable end. NAS is working with static IP and Z9XPro (.86 - SMB1 playing large and high bitrate contents flawlessly) and Z9X (.65 - SMB1 stuttering play) with dynamic IPs. For Deco there is no difference between dynamic or static IPs since it's reserving the first assigned number to each device.

17. Racer X

Racer X New Member

I'm sorry, but TP-Link have always been known for their horribly written firmware. Although they have quite good hardware. All the TP-Links that I had in the past worked well and stably only with third-party firmware OpenWRT.

18. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

All through my 3 Zidoo boxes stretching back many years I have always found NFS works better than SMB, even with the best routers, static Ip address, multi gig NAS etc I always had occasional stutters or 'black out' with Zidoo over SMB on high bit rate Dolby Vision / True HD files. Swapped out to a Ugoos AM6B+ on Coreelec using the same HDMI cable and same network connection and not a problem, Zilch - Nada, in my opinion it is the buffer settings, the Zidoo / Android operating system doesn't manage it's cache very well, I aint got the Technical data or time to back that up but that is what it feels like.

LittleFrog likes this.
  19. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I completely agree, specially in Z9X although Z9XPro chipset handles better than smaller brother. This is my old claim from long ago!!

And regarding TP-Link fw, in new Deco X1500 and X3000 for WiFi 6 Mesh, they've got a quite good app that improves the past bugs. In my experience that's the best system of WiFi I've ever tried and far from others.