NAS hard drives compatibly

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by Fox, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Fox

Fox New Member

Hi, I'm waiting for a zidoo x10 and want to equip it with a 4 T hard drive.
    I read in zappiti page (which have the same CPU), that NAS hard drive like WD red are not supported. I plan to buy a Toshiba N300 (a NAS hard drive), is it supported ? Or I must prefer a Toshiba X300 (not NAS).
    which 4 T hard drive do you advise me ? (must be SILENT and not produce a lot of heat).
    Thank you.

An other question about HDMI cables : I will use zidoo to play blu ray 3d MVC and the few blu ray 4k iso available, so it will need a good bandwidth, some HDMI are labelled 27 Gbps instead of 18 Gbps, do I need those 27 Gbps cables for my use or is it only a marketing ?

Thank you.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

HDMI 1.4 cables are 18 Gbps and HDMI 2.0 cables 27 Gbps. If you ever plan to use 4K then you really need HDMI 2.0 for sure.
    WD green, blue and purple drives are good. Seagate Archive/Ironwolf/Desktop drives are good too. Ironwolf uses a lot of power at startup/run.
    But in principle any drive not being of the 4Kn type will work including WD Red. Toshiba makes lots of 4Kn drives be sure to get a correct model.

3. Fox

Fox New Member

HDMI 2.0 are 18 Gbps too (in the majority), even the best. Actually there are very few 27 Gbps cables (like Monster Black Platinum).
    The 18 Gbps cables are also certified 4k HDR.

4. Nice Monkey

Thanks for the correction Fox! HDMI 1.4a only requires 10 Gbps cables and HDMI 2.0a does need the 18 Gbps cables. Should have checked.:oops:

The new HDMI 2.1 standard may go all the way up to 48 Gbps but is for professional deployments and 8K resolutions.
    Using Dynamic HDR with 4Kp60 could justify a 27 Gbps cable, but Zidoo players don't support that.:)

5. Fox

Fox New Member

[QUOTE="Using Dynamic HDR with 4Kp60 could justify a 27 Gbps cable, but Zidoo players don't support that.:)[/QUOTE]

But in the official page of zidoo x10 the first thing we learn is : "
    Functional overview

* Customized Android system and it is perfectly combined with media play and openness of system;

* Supports HDR10 technical, and also supports Ycbcr/4:4:4/ 12 bits/ 4K@60HZ outputs;

* Powerful decoding capability and supports 4K UHD H.265/10bit and maximum with 400Mbps streams"

I guess it can read blu ray 3D and 4k isos. Or not ?

6. Nice Monkey

For sure it can. I was talking Dynamic HDR. In the rat race between static HDR10 and DV (Dolby Vision) again a next generation was announced being Dynamic HDR. Dynamic HDR is technically superior to DV which uses dynamic too. DV is considered superior to HDR10. For the UHD Blu-Ray standard HDR10 is standard and DV remained optional. Thus far movies released on UHD BD had only HDR10 but DV is gaining momentum (easier and cheaper to produce).

Dynamic HDR requires HDMI 2.1 and is not part of the UHD BD standard. Irrelevant for home equipment thus far, but things move fast. DV is a different story that is all about licenses.