Multichannel FLAC plays then stops at the end and won't continue to the next track

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Pete B, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Pete B

Pete B Member

I'm using firmware 6.4.40 and noticed some weirdness on one 5.1 FLAC:

The FLAC plays fine but when the song is over, it won't play the next FLAC in the folder. You can skip to the next track and it plays fine though.

Here's my process and troubleshooting:

1. The music came on BD which I MKV'd, then extracted 5.1 FLACs from using AudioMuxer. I've done this process twice just in case anything went wrong the first time.

2. I've tried extracting FLACs from the PCM 5.1 stream and the DTS-MA 5.1 stream but they give the same result.

3. I've tried deleting a second or 2 of the end of the first track and beginning of the second track with Audacity in case there was something weird in the files that the Z9X didn't like.

4. I joined the 2 tracks as 1 file in Audacity and it plays through from one song to the other fine. There's no pause or glitch between songs.

5. When I then separate the 2 songs into 2 files in Audacity, the stopping still occurs at the end of the first track.

6. This stopping doesn't occur when I play the FLACs via my Sony X800. The first track ends and the second begins as you'd expect.

Does anyone have any ideas as to solutions?

Thanks

Pete

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You may forward the offending file to me and will verify. The latest FW isn't exactly trouble free anyway. Will be using FW 6.4.42 for testing being the latest. Zidoo always asks for that.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Pete B likes this.
  3. Pete B

Pete B Member

Thanks Nice Monkey. I get a little paranoid about transferring files around the interwebs that are only available on Blu-ray so will do a bunch of further troubleshooting to see if I can get around this or if it manifests itself with any other files. Depending on what I find, I may send you a couple of files to test. It's not a major as it's worked around with a simple button-press to skip to the next track but it's definitely weird. Thanks again for the offer though - it's much appreciated.

If anyone else has experienced any other weirdness such as this, please feel free to chime in.

4. Pete B

Pete B Member

Just noting here for future reference that I've found another 5.1 FLAC backed-up from BD that stops at the end of the track and won't proceed to the next track in the folder.

The 2 offending 5.1 FLACs that I've found so far are:

Barclay James Harvest: Once Again (3CD/Blu-Ray Remastered & Expanded Edition):
    Too Much on Your Plate 5.1 stops after playing like it's the last track in the folder and won't play the next track (which IS the last track in the folder) White Sails (A Seascape).
    Once Too Much on Your Plate stops playing though, you can hit the Chapter Up button on the remote to skip to White Sails (A Seascape), press Play and it'll start playing.

Pixies: Doolittle (BD):
    Silver 5.1 stops after playing like it's the last track in the folder and won't play the next track (which IS the last track in the folder) Gouge Away.
    Once Silver stops playing though, you can hit the Chapter Up button on the remote to skip to Gouge Away, press Play and it'll start playing.

The only commonality I can see between these 2 anomalies is that both Too Much on Your Plate and Silver are the second-to-last files in their respective folders.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  5. Pete B

Pete B Member

I think I got the bottom of this: Every multichannel (4.0/5.1) FLAC album stops playing after the second-to-last track in the album folder, like the second-to-last track is the last track. Pressing the Chapter button Up to skip to the last track will play the last track.

Multichannel (4.0/5.1) DSF plays correctly in this regard and is gapless.

Hopefully, they can fix this multichannel (4.0/5.1) FLAC bug with an update without breaking anything else.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023