MKV Video Stops playing

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Gregavi, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Hi, I just received my Z9X and have an issue I'd like to ask a question about. I have a couple of 4k Atmos MKV movie files that start to play and then the video will stop and the audio will keep going. This happens with the same files that are either on a hard drive connected directly to the USB3 port or through the gigabit network from my NAS. The files are around 70GB in size. Both of the files seem to play fine on my desktop using VLC. I bought this device in order to play this type of file so I'm a bit disappointed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Post a MediaInfo file report (tree text mode) of the movie.

3. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Thanks Netmask.
    This forum only allows 1000 charactors per post and the MediaInfo report has significantly more than that.
    Is there a particular part of the report that is necessary in order for you to help diagnose the problem. Maybe the "Video" section of the report for example.
    Please advice.
    Thanks in advance.

4. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

In case that is the case, here is the "Video" section of the report:
    Video
    ID : 1
    ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 2 h 56 min
    Bit rate : 53.1 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.267
    Stream size : 65.4 GiB (94%)
    Title : The Batman
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : Yes
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
    Maximum Content Light Level : 413 cd/m2
    Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 65 cd/m2
    Original source medium : Blu-ray

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

When you say "the video will stop" do you mean it freezes?

And what firmware version?

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

You could post the entire MediaInfo as an attached text file.

7. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Yes, the video freezes while the audio continues to play.
    v6.4.27

8. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

An attemp to post the text as an attachment.

Attached Files:

9. Markswift2003

Ok, so that's easier to diagnose. File issue.

Most probably a bad RPU - does it do it at the same point every time?

You say it plays fine in VLC, but VLC doesn't process Dolby Vision so the RPU is ignored.

10. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Thanks.
    Yes it does freeze at the same spot every time. It happens in the first few seconds of the video.
    If I skip forward in the video, sometimes it will play for a minute or so and then freeze again.

How does the RPU get bad, is there a way to fix it or does it need to be re-ripped? If so, how to prevent getting a bad RPU when re-ripping?
    Thanks in advance.

11. Markswift2003

Usually it's because some bright spark has tried to convert to Profile 8 or created a P8 hybrid and doesn't know what he's doing but that's not the case here so I'm not really sure.

I use MakeMKV and ripping to a standard Profile 7 file never causes issues and indeed I have The Batman which despite being a truly awful movie (I even deleted the rip after watching ;) ) ripped perfectly.

One thing to try is to load the Samsung EDID (Settings/Display/Custom EDID) which means the Zidoo will think you have a non-DV display and the movie will play in HDR10 using the base layer only - see if it freezes at the same place (I'm sure it won't) and then we know it's a Dolby Vision issue.

12. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Many thanks Mark.
    I tried the Samsung EDID and the result was, the video flashes on and off but does not "freeze". Also, during playback of this file, my 4k Vizio (which is Dolby Vision compatible) has an on screen display of ---2180p---HDR10---Stereo.
    The HDR10 switches back and forth from that "HDR10" to "Normal".
    I then stopped the video, reloaded it and now it says "Can't Play Video".
    I then tried a different movie file that I had the same issue with (Top Gun Maverick 4k Atmos) and it says "Can't Play Video"