Media STUTTERING

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by domifer, Sep 22, 2017.

1. domifer

domifer Member

STUTTERING! With every movie I play I get from time to time stuttering, some frames start playing like is going FASTFORWARD and the sound goes away, half of the time, the picture comes back to normal but the sound is still off, I have to pause the movie for 1-2 secs then play it again to fix it, this may happen 5-10 times during a movie, The only thing I have left to try is testing it in LOW PERFORMANCE mode (this option is in advanced settings) to see if it is buffer problem, but I come from another good player the Himedia Q10 Pro, and I used the same disks there and rarely had stuttering.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions?

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

what firmware are you in ? do you have shuttering with zdmc or media center ?

P.S. never seen shuttering problems reported before, so it's not a commune case

3. domifer

domifer Member

I am using the latest 1.4.12 firmware, first I allowed the player to upgrade itself but seeing this stuttering I did a flash with 1.4.12 img, to start from scratch. This is happening basically when I play a movie from an external usb 3.0 hard drive, I have other media players before, the latest being a Himedia Q10Pro and never had this problem, using the same hard drive. Maybe it is an incompatibility issues? This drive is a Western Digital Passport 2 tb drive.
    Now I am testing the player with the low performance mode, and with the internal HDD and another USB external drive have not had stuttering yet. Later on this day I will continue with the WD drive and will report my findings here.

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

strange but. HDD is formated NTFS mbr (most of them are ) ? try a reformat using NTSF GPT

5. domifer

domifer Member

Well I have literally Terabytes of movies , and , as I said, all these drives have worked well for me in my previous players, I would loose a lot , would have to buy a big capacity external HDD and reformat. Just now, I experienced something with another external HDD (Toshiba 2tb) , I was playing a 4k HDR movie with 7.1 DTS-HD sound , and in the middle of the film, 1-2 frames went faster, the video went on but it continued playing the film without sound for many minutes until I pressed "pause" and then play again, and the sounds comes back. Maybe it has to do with the video output and sound output settings, this player has different settings than others and I really miss a tutorial on this, or the recommended setttings based on the different formats.
    I am using a professional HDMI 2.0a cable, and a 1 year old PIONEER Homecinema that can decode the latest codecs ioncluding DOLBY ATMOS and DTS:X, and of course a good quality 4K Tv (PANASONIC) , so it shouldn't be my equipment because it has been tested with previous player.
    Please hint on this! And thank you for your answers so far!

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

can you post media info for the movie ? soc has trouble with some HEVC L5.1 high or above

7. domifer

domifer Member

Do you mean press the info (I) button while playing the movie and do a screen capture? How do i do the screen capture? (sorry as I said I have only had this player for 3 days)

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i don't know how to get them on the box, don't you have a PC ?

9. domifer

domifer Member

OK, I will post it later, I have to detach the HDD and see it on the PC or try to get the info on screen on the player and make a screen capture or photograph it. WIll do so a bit later, thank you again for your interest!

10. domifer

domifer Member

Ok, here are some info I managed to extract, my external disks (both Toshiba and WD) are formatted NTFS MBR.
    I am attaching you 2 screen captures of 2 films that had stuttering and also sound off problems, one is 4k HDR , the other 1080P . Both have 7.1 sound.

Attached Files:

11. neo2017

neo2017 New Member

I also had noticed shuttering with some 2016p.NF files, using a Gig network and NFS, for example:
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 45 min 49 s
    Bit rate : 44.9 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.226
    Stream size : 14.4 GiB (97%)
    Writing library : x264 core 144 r2525 40bb568
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=48 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.30 / pb_ratio=1.20 / aq=3:0.80
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Statistics Tags Issue : mkvmerge v7.6.0 (\'Garden of Dreams\') 64bit built on Feb 8 2015 13:04:34 2017-08-22 16:19:25 / mkvmerge v7.6.0 (\'Garden of Dreams\') 64bit built on Feb 8 2015 13:04:34 2017-08-22 16:19:25 / UTC 2017-06-24 12:17:59
    FromStats_BitRate : 45818650
    FromStats_Duration : 00:45:49.038000000
    FromStats_FrameCount : 65911
    FromStats_StreamSize : 15744651321

Is this expected? Is it due to the High@L5.1 profile?
    You mention its a SOC issue, so was Realtek informed?

domifer likes this.
  12. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

hm, that media info seems ok.
    Probably they know already, don't have that level of access.

neo2017 likes this.
  13. domifer

domifer Member

I change the location of the player to a place more open so it can "breathe" better, and the external hard disks are more apart from each other and also I am not using a usb 3.0 hub anymore, things have improved and now I have been able to watch a complete movie without any problem, but from time to time what I get is that the screen goes black for 1-2 secs, the sound and image are gone, then everything comes back, all in all in less than 3-4 secs. My previous players /including the himedia hisilicon ) where in the old location with less space and air, and still worked more smoothly, so I am guessing this realtek SOC is more sensitive to warming ?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i never had heating problems with my x9s , but again, zidoo uses some sort of graphite heat sink that suppose to work good and have low weight,
    same problem was reported in some hot regions with zidoo x6 pro ( bad playback to do heat ), that was easy fix by lifting the box up by 1cm or so.

15. domifer

domifer Member

I hope all in all the firmware will improve , I really like the picture and sound quality, it is noticeable better than the Himedia Q10 Pro, if only I didn't have this stuttering problems from time to time, even if it has improved there are still problems with some movies, problems I didn't have with previous players.

16. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

there' something sure wrong, can't tell you from where tho. i never had shuttering in movies, is the left side of the box clear ? where it has those vents ?

17. domifer

domifer Member

The left side of the box is where the internal HDD entrance is?

18. domifer

domifer Member

Since you are the only one answering me (which I thank you again) , let me copy here a post I wrote in a new thread about the LED Display remaining time issue, becaus enoone has answered me this one:

"There is an option in the quick settings to change what the LED DISPLAY of the player should show : clock time, movie playing time, and movie remaining time, but it seems that changing these settings is not working at all.
    No matter which settings I choose ( and I have tried the 3 of them) the LED DISPLAY always shows the clock time when not playing a movie, and the time played of the movie when playing a video. I cannot make LED DISPLAY SHOW REMAINING TIME of a video. Which for me it would be more useful than reading the already played time, it is better to know how much time is left to the end of the movie, in case you have plans for other things, etc.

WHY is LED DISPLAY REMAINING TIME NOT WORKING?

Is this a known bug to be fixed? Or is there a trick to make it work that I don't know about?"

19. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

oh, for some reason i tough you have a x9s , is the fan working on your x10 ? x10 is even cooler than x9s, should have no problems with it.

yes, the LED display time option is not working properly

20. domifer

domifer Member

Nope, this is the X10 forum, isn't it? :cool:
    The fan is working, and as I said, the device is now in a place where it gets more air, more open and also the disks attached to it. I am still wondering why is sttutering happening at all? Isn't this Realtek SOC more powerful than the Huawei HiSilicon one? It seems to me that the picture and audio quality is much better, but is this at the cost of struggling more with decoding?
    As I said, I had exactly the same configuration, with the same internal disk, and the same external disks attached to the Huawei HiSilicon media player, and there were less stutterings, it happened very rarely. and again, I am very keen on video quality, so I have many quite big files between 15 and 60 Gbs of Atmos or DTS-X sound and Full HD and many 4K HDR films. Maybe I am putting this SOC to an ultimate performance?