May be a strange question...

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Carlos Niño, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Carlos Niño

Carlos Niño New Member

Hi,

With all the Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick 4K and Plex app, Is there any use for a Z9X anymore?
    It's not a sarcastic question, it's really a serious question and I'd really like to know if is worth having one anymore.

Any opinion is more than welcome.

Thanx

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Very definitely and it's very simple - none of those devices perform anywhere near as well as a Z9X for ripped local content.

The closest is probably the Shield (I'd certainly discount Apple TV and a Fire Stick from any serious contention for local content) and even there you get nothing like the flexibility and agility and you have to rely on the likes of Plex or Kodi for playback.

I use a Shield for online duties and a Z9X for local duties in my cinema which gives the best of both worlds.

Carlos Niño likes this.
  3. Carlos Niño

Carlos Niño New Member

I've had many issues with video and audio formats and since VLC is not supported anymore, how can I play those files?

4. Markswift2003

Not sure what you mean - VLC has never been needed - The Z9X uses its own player.

5. Carlos Niño

Carlos Niño New Member

Many .avi or .mpg files always gave me an error saying that it could not play it (can't remember the exact message) I had to convert them to .mkv (H.264) to be able to play them in the Zidoo while VLC played them all without problems anywhere else. I guess it is a codec issue.

6. Markswift2003

Presumably, yes.

7. Ehbak

Ehbak New Member

Hello,
    Reading about the firestick and z9x led me to this discussion/forum.
    Besides the obvious differences that firestick is for streaming and z9x local play. Both are capable of playing dolby vision and atmos. How else are they different, they're both able to decode the same media. Is there a noticeable difference in quality output?