Master Edition Clocks with External DAC?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Mike Hanson, Jun 12, 2023.

1. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson New Member

I've been trying to find a definitive answer for this. If you intend to use the DMP-A6 with an external DAC, are there any benefits from the Master Edition, in particular the better clocks?

For example, I have a Denafrips Iris DDC, which includes special clocks to send a jitter-free signal on to the DAC. Perhaps the clocks in the DMP-A6 are used in the same fashion, when it's used with an external DAC. Or perhaps they're only used when timing the internal DAC operations.

Can anyone say for certain?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  2. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

Zero. There is zero chance any differences in jitter (that are likely to be barely measurable even with an audio analyzer) are going to be heard. Zero. The op amp....maybe, but unlikely and that wouldn't matter to you if you use outboard DAC. I bought the Master because it uses the same op amp as the Z8 (OPA1612). The reality is it probably isn't audible difference vs. the OPA1642 used the regular DMP-A6. I have no regrets but in your case, I'd just buy the regular version and be happy.

FunnyChap, glc650 and Mike Hanson like this.
  3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Only can confirm what @multisport4me is saying Does not matter in any way.

But the motivation is wrong. Any external DAC will run on it's own internal clock source and won't benefit from the Gold Master edition in anyway.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    Mike Hanson likes this.
  4. Milky

Milky Active Member

Nothing could be further from the truth. This person has no idea what they are talking about, probably one of those ASR jokers. These a very high-end clocks in the master edition. In digital audio clocks and timing are EXTREMELY important to sound quality. The improvements in detail, space, separation, and air aren't measured by an audio analyzer and would come in droves with these clocks. An audio analyzer might be able to analyze jitter which should be greatly reduced when compared to a lesser clock. Why would they even change the clocks if they did nothing at all? Why would they even put decent clocks in the normal version if they didn't matter? They would have just used some crap low-end clocks if that were the case. Better clocks bring vast audible improvements.

Nice Monkey likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Could not agree more. Well spoken. :cool:
    Added an extra line to my previous answer as it was incomplete.

I am still extremely surprised that moving to some idiot stability like Femto clocks is still audible. Took me quite some time to realize this also happens with HDMI feeding the internal DAC within an AMP. Thought it was buffered in between running on an internal clock which it apparently is not. :p
    The DMP-A6 sounds very well via HDMI too.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    Milky likes this.
  6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Jokers, lol. Not used to name calling on this board but at least we’re going somewhere.

7. Milky

Milky Active Member

Meant it as a descriptive, wasn't name calling. They like their pranks, I think the onion owns it and also the hard times.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    ammar11 likes this.
  8. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson New Member

I already get into enough skirmishes with the ASR clan, with their adamant contention that measurements tell the whole story. Let's leave that discussion for another day/forum.

In this case, I merely want to ascertain whether the Master Edition's superior clocks are used only by the internal DAC, or whether they're also leveraged in generation of the digital output signal for an external DAC. A couple have weighed in above suggest that only the internal DAC benefits. I'm hoping that's not the case.

FYI, one of my DAC rigs has a Denafrips Iris DDC driving a Pontus II. I can say with certainty that the extra box makes a big difference, so the clock definitely has an impact. ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    FunnyChap likes this.
  9. Milky

Milky Active Member

The clocks will be used no matter which output you use. The streamer has to use them to process the data either way.

I was going to buy the gaia, but the master edition has better clocks for cheaper. What a great value.

Mike Hanson likes this.
  10. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

ASR joker? And surprise surprise, anmar11 likes the name-calling that he supposedly detests in another thread.

I'd love to be in a room doing blind tests with all of you some day because I know I'd get the last laugh....as a joker like me rather enjoys. Instead, I will just go listen to more of my Master A6 - which I love - and remain open to the possibility that the regular A6 sounds no different because both products are so clean and well-designed, none of you could tell the difference in a blind test. I have no regrets buying the Master Edition, however, I am skeptical there would be a difference in sound from the regular A6. The Master is a bargain in my opinion if you like to know you have the very best version of the product and if you perceive it sounds better, have at it.

The funny thing is that I bought both versions but sold the regular A6 unopened. Now I wish I had listened to it and compared them before selling it....albeit, some of the same "jokers" up here would then complain that I am hearing things if I reported differences between the two sonically. It has occured to me that some guys just like to fluff their feathers up and call names and make unsubstantiated insinuations on this forum. Which of course, has nothing to do with nor does it do anything to improve the A6 or further our enjoyment of it.

11. Milky

Milky Active Member

It would depend on your system. If the system is not very resolving or you have some loss of hearing, both could sound the same. If you have a higher-end system that can resolve the differences I would wager there would be a noticeable difference in sound quality. I would love for someone to do a listening comparison.

Yeah, that's what I meant about joker. They like to mess around with you and tell you the difference is all in your head or clocks don't matter just to mess with you and get a rise out of you. Most of what they say can't be taken seriously, hence the joke.

12. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson New Member

And not all will perceive the difference.

Story #1
    I started climbing the audiophile ladder, over 20 years ago. One of my first purchases was a Naim CD 3.5, to replace my Sony 5-DVD carousel. My ex-wife was visiting, and I mentioned my purchase. She asked for an audition, so I played the same CD through the DVD carousel, followed by the Naim player. She stared at me with incredulity! Clearly I was tricking her, because the Naim's presentation was obviously a different band playing the same song.

Story #2
    During that same climb up the audio ladder, my best friend would often visit, occasionally with his wife. He would sit her down in front of my system to show her how amazing it sounded. In spite of her earnest attempts, each time she shrugged her shoulders and commented that she didn't notice anything special. I finally gave up on the possibility of her ever hearing it.

A few years later, I attained the pinnacle of Naim's olive series: CDS2/XPS/NAC52/SuperCap/2xNAP135, using Royd speakers. We were having a party, and this same women approached me unbidden. "I don't know what you changed in there, but that sounds fantastic!" It took a stellar system to become clear to her.

Story #3
    Over the past year, my friend and I have auditioned various DACs side-by-side, ranging widely in price:
    • Topping DX3 Pro+ (in DAC mode)
    • Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    • Chord Qutest with external linear supply
    • Denafrips Pontus II DAC, with and without the Denafrips Iris DDC
    • T+A DAC200
    My friend and I can clearly discern the differences between these. We'll often compare notes, and realize that we're perceiving many of the same differences, with minor variations due to our personal sensitivities and preferences.

Another friend was with us one session. He accepted that we could discern the difference, but admitted that they all sounded the same to him.

The moral of these stories is that we all have varying perceptional abilities. That's why there are audiophiles and regular folk. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    FunnyChap and ammar11 like this.
  13. Nice Monkey

You need to look at how players and DAC's are build in a bit more detail.
    When using DMP-A6 Gold Edition:
    - For processing data the mainboard crystal will clock the CPU/GPU
    - For HDMI out the DOH chip with be used
    - For Internal DAC output the femto Accusillicon clocks will be used
    - For USB output the mainboard clock will be used. The External DAC will use its own internal clock(s) for DAC decoding.

No there will be no difference between the standard and gold units for the external DAC sound. Just for Internal DAC output.

The Gold edition only modifies the Internal DAC nothing else.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    DudeMusic, MGX-UK, ammar11 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson New Member

Thanks for the fulsome clarification.

15. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Refreshing to see great technical discussion here, and in civilised manners too. Thanks for sharing, definitely learned something from this thread.

Mike Hanson and Nutul like this.
  16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

@ammar11
    This is very touching. Indeed, all discussions should be carried on/out in a polite way; to enrich everybody.
    We're not born with all the knowledge, first. And we must forget not the times when we didn't know, and we asked...

DudeMusic and ammar11 like this.
  17. mellodos

mellodos New Member

What about coaxial / optical?

18. Nice Monkey

You are talking Input or Output?
    SPDIF Input goes via XMOS to the Internal DAC and takes advantage of Gold femtoclocks.
    SPDIF Output could be using XMOS for stabilized Output but the External DAC mostly will use its own internal clocks these days.

mellodos likes this.
  19. mellodos

mellodos New Member

So its clear that streamer mode - spdif output does not benefit by Gold femtoclocks ?

You can set external dac which clock to use like holo spring

20. Nice Monkey

Nutul and mellodos like this.