Lost Newbie - Advise please

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Dr Photo, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

I am looking at a Zidoo x10 pro or a Z1000 as a basic media player. I am only looking at playing from a HDD mainly DVD & Bluray discs I have DVDfab to burn the discs but I am wondering what is the best quality format to use for the above players.

I have read all sorts of info & I'm now completely baffled. Having just downloaded DVDfab I am now even more confused.

Anyone prepared to help out the lost? All help appreciated. TIA

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I would definitely rip to MKV so you lose all the tedious menus.

It's a long time since I've used DVDFab (I use MakeMKV) but I think the options are to "copy", ie copy the whole disc including menu, "Rip" ie rip the main movie only to several formats (use MKV) and "Convert" which transcodes the files to a smaller size.

So you'd choose "Rip" the main movie to an MKV on your hard disc.

(or download MakeMKV and use that...)

3. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Thanks for getting back on such as basic question. I have done quite some delving but just got more confused,

Yes I was looking at the Ripper option and the Theatre MKV passthrough setting. My concern was whether this a format that would work on the X10 pro. The small footprint is ideal & a good size HDD I thought would do me but I didn't want to buy one and find none of my copied files would work.

Is there any other issues I should be aware of as I was very confused as to what whether MKV would work at all

Many thanks for taking the trouble to get back appreciated

Oh I did try makemkv but had bits missing and gave up. Not good at this lol

4. Markswift2003

I've said this many times, but the main reason I started on the slippery media player slope was to be rid of DVD and later BluRay menus which seem to have got more and more annoying over the years.

MKV files are the ideal container for this - you can rip just the movie with just the audio track you want and the appropriate subtitle if necessary, and you have one neat file.

Worth trying MakeMKV again though - it's free ("while in beta", and it's always in beta!) and is a lot easier to use than DVDfab.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?style=3&f=5&t=1054

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?style=3&f=5&t=1053

Netmask likes this.
  5. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Cheers - I am just starting going through all my Doctor Who classics now & things seem to play correctly on the PC. DVDfab is paid for now therefore I'll use it - I will have to look again when I get to the Bluray discs.

I will look at the X10 pro purchase now I know it works and also a good sized hard drive. I looked at using an old Z1000 but I understood that it didn't play MKV - There was one on ebay and as monies are tight at the moment I thought it would give more funds for the drive and upgrade at a later date. Bloody minefield lol

Many thanks for getting back. Apprecciated

6. Markswift2003

Nothing wrong with DVDFab at all, so as you say, if it's bought and paid for then why not use it!

I assume you mean the Z10 Pro, not X10!!!! X10 is 2 generations back.

Z1000 will play MKVs fine, but that's 1 generation back.

7. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Yes the pro, Trype writing I'm afraid - Now looking at all the drive recognition reports lol - What a nightmare. Why isn't there a simple Brennan B2 solution for video!

8. Markswift2003

Honestly it's not a nightmare, it's a blast! - buy the kit, cobble it together, start playing and when you get stuck, ask here and you'll have plenty of help.

9. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

I know what you mean, but it is a minefield when you start from scratch & can only buy once. Burning MKV's as I type, just got to be brave and go for the unit. Still not sure what unit to go for. Cheers for your positive thoughts :)

10. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I've been using MakeMKV for yonks! I'm only interested in the main movie so it's ideal and quick for this purpose - I ended up buying a license so I didn't have to bother updating the rego every 3 months or so. I also have DVDFab suite but hardly ever use it as media is now so cheap there is no necessity to shrink files IMO. With MakeMKV it is important to update it when they become available to keep up to date with various nefarious copy protection methods employed by DVD and Blu ray companies. If you have any UHD discs it will do those as long as you have an approved unit for playback. A brand and model number listing can be found on the MakeMKV forum site.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Cheers

12. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

I have done the deed & purchased a Z10 pro. i'm looking at trying to access the movies off my PC for now until I can afford another HDD. Unfortunately I trashed a SATA connection on my 10tb drive today. Any pointers anywhere as to how I can access these files using my network - I was hoping there would be something with the unit, alas no. I thought I would ask before I go off on a strange direction.

Thanks for the help earlier on - appreciated - A bit more would help now lol

13. Markswift2003

When you say trashed a SATA connection - what do you mean - physically damaged the SATA port on a hard disc?

14. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Seemed to have snapped the connector off putting the side of the pc on - Bit of a bugger to say the least

Attached Files:

• H.jpg
      H.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
  15. Markswift2003

Ah, that's nasty - those are the data pins too - the only way to fix that is skill with a very fine tipped soldering iron.

As long as the pins are still connected to the board inside and you fancy a go, you could solder a male sata data connector to connect to the original jumper off the motherboard.

If you decide to have a go, check and double check the pinout as you go - it's easy to get left from right mixed up doing something like that.

16. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Yes I was gutted - At least 99% of it was backed up - I was just sorting an extra drive to sort back ups lol. Typical, I haven't got an iron small enough, I was also looking at trying to stick a bit of plastic on the back & locking the lead on with glue. Not sure what to do. Bloody eyesight don't help. Having a think before I do anything. It would be handy to save Bring back IDE lol

Would you happen to know of any instructions about accessing the MKV files on my PC from my Z10 pro? I was hoping there would be something in the box. Any links appreciated. Cheers

17. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Looking at some bits on the web I could better off using a separate external HDD and connecting that to the Z10 pro using USB? I assume the USB 3. Anything special about the HDD required? Your thoughts would be appreciated as I really haven't got a clue TIA

18. Markswift2003

If it's a 10TB drive it's worth a bit of investment - anybody you know with a bit of electronics experience? It really is an easy job if you have the right kit.

Accessing the PC from the Zidoo requires setting up a share for the folder or drive in question (right Click "Share With" or similar depending on OS) and then navigating to that share from the Zidoo.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  19. Markswift2003

Depends on how you use it - I have several devices accessing my movies so for me that wouldn't work - I use NAS drives - also means you can add unlimited storage, but there are plenty of people here that use a USB drive or a USB enclosure with several drives.

Nothing special to look for really with a USB drive other than a decent make of hard drive.

20. Dr Photo

Dr Photo New Member

Cheers - My thoughts too.

Not got the kit and don't have contact yet, I will take a look when I'm feeling brave - I've got a few days away & look at it when I get back.

Cheers on the share info as well I'll take a look when I have everything copied over from my DVDs. At least the TV sees it.