Little trouble with Z9X, HDFury Vrroom, and LLDV

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Anthony C., Mar 16, 2022.

1. Anthony C.

Anthony C. Member

I currently have LLDV working through the Vroom for both my ATV4K and Z9X.

One problem I’m having is the Z9X signal doesn’t always make it to the Q90R TV. It’s like a 50/50 chance the TV shows it.

The other problem is when resuming a video the sync seems pretty harsh, usually picture flashes twice, and the video starts frozen with the resume box overly counting down. I either have to press play or occasionally stop and start it again.

I did swap the HDMI cable this morning when I couldn’t get a signal. I had to use the included cable over a Belkin when I was trying something and forgot to swap it back. Time will tell if that corrects the first problem.

Anyone have any ideas??

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

One problem with LLDV is that if the signal is 4K50/59/60Hz then because LLDV used 4:2:2 colour encoding, this means the signal is the full 594MHz (17.8Gbps) bandwidth of HDMI 2. This means that the HDMI cables absolutely have to be Premium Certified cables and the full HDMI path must be able to pass a full 594MHz signal. This doesn't happen with standard HDR10(+) since if configured correctly it uses 4:2:0 encoding at 4K50/59/60Hz which at 10-bit is 371MHz and even at 12-bit is only 445MHz.

So if you set the resolution to Auto and use a 594MHz EDID, the GUI signal will be 4K60 in LLDV which takes all that bandwidth. The solution is to either make sure your cables can withstand that, reduce the framerate to say 4K23 or use a 400MHz EDID which will not allow 4K60 at 4:2:2 - in the latter case it will reduce 4K60 to 4K30, 4K50 to 4K25 and 4K59 to 2K59 (since 59.94 is not an integer).

I do the latter and also reduce the frame rate of the GUI to 23.976 because I have a similar setup (Zidoo>Vertex2>SamsungTV) but have a 5M HDMI cable buried in the wall which although is supposed to be high speed, will not actually pass 594MHz reliably - like you say, it kind of does it 50% of the time.

Not sure what's going on with the second point - the bit about the video starting frozen doesn't make sense - may be down the above too..

If you want to try a 400MHz EDID, below is an example that supports LLDV and is specifically designed for Samsung TVs:

https://mega.nz/file/ID5DFLpL#w3vOmADJh0ATHYuVvSORKLZ89z-3Ahqa0yJLIGDZom8

3. Anthony C.

Anthony C. Member

Thanks for the info on that. I normally stick to Belkin Ultra cables and that initially until I was trying something with my XB1X which I can't get into game mode automatically for some dumb reason. I realized that I didn't swap back to the Belkin for the Z9X this morning and after swapping it seems happier. Those cables are about as premium as they can get, with a price tag to match so hopefully it will do the trick.

And just so I'm sure, that config can be loaded into the Vrroom? Anything else I need to do? I like the fact that it's Samsung specific, too, so thanks for that.

4. Markswift2003

You can use that EDID in the same way you use your current LLDV EDID - either loaded into the Vrroom or loaded into the Zidoo - since you have the Vroom, personally I'd load it into that.

5. Anthony C.

Anthony C. Member

Hmmm... well, I uploaded it to the Vrroom, but I can't seem to get it into the custom EDID drop down. What am I missing?

6. Markswift2003

If the Vrroom is the same as the Vertex, you load a custom EDID into one of slots 1 - 10 only but the name of the slot doesn't change.

So if you save the EDID into "1 - Custom Default [SONY A85J 7.1]", the name stays the same so you just have to remember it's there.

7. Anthony C.

Anthony C. Member

Ahhhhh. Ok. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. Thanks sir.

8. Markswift2003

No problem at all.