Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Verve

Verve New Member

I couldn't get it to run directly from USB so now I'm running it off my PC USB and my PC as a server. How do I get jellyfin to scan TV shows properly? Do I need to install any plugins?

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

When you are adding "New Media Library" item select "Shows" from the first "Content Type" pull down menu. It works very well. I don't think you can change it later. Delete your old TV shows media collection in Jellyfin and create new one with "Shows" as content and add shares or folders with your TV series.

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I'm stil amazed how well Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB of RAM works as Jallyfin server. It runs on Raspbian 64bit OS. No local display or keyboard and no CPU fan, just large heatsink. Remote VNC for all controls. I had to install SAMBA server and mount various network locations. Memory compression including swap file was another add on. At the end it's rock solid and very stable. It has 2 USB hard drives connected to RPi4. They spin down and stay off unless accessing files. I can copy files to those drives from remote PC. Jellyfin server is collecting media info from various network locations including Zidoo attached drives. The only glitch is ISO files. It won't read my 3D ISO disks. HT works great for that :D

4. salora

salora Member

Jellyfin, plex or emby can't manage iso files indeed. The zidoo edition beta 11 did, but it's dead anyway. so like you i use HT besides emby for the iso rip of my bluray audio.
    I did try zdmc 20.1 but if you hit bluray menu it stays with the internal player sadly

5. Enet

Enet Active Member

I went to the Android version but went back to the Zidoo edition. Development may be dead but it still works. What's the issue?

6. salora

salora Member

Well the issue is it being dead and based on a old version of the client.
    The android tv version is not working well.
    So I ended up with emby and the "official" android tv app and it work flawlessly out of the box
    Besides Emby in general is more mature and works better than jellyfin anyway imo

7. Enet

Enet Active Member

That's not an answer. You just repeated your point about it being "dead". My point is that the client still works, and works better for certain things than the latest Android client. So why not stick with the Zidoo client until it no longer works?

Emby is great. But Jellyfin is good enough and is free.

3DBuff likes this.
  8. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

I've been following this thread & using this excellent Zidoo version of the app (I call it Zellyfin) since day 1. Without going back through the last few month's worth of posts, did we ever get a definitive reason why this project was abandoned? Has @andy22 just ghosted us? Is there anyone out there with the know-how, time & willingness to take over & keep this awesome branch of the app alive? Will the Lizard People rise up from below & enslave humanity?

9. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

He had a new job and sadly some family health issues if I remember correctly.

I was thinking about merging his changes regarding Zidoo API to the official App but I just don’t find the time. Plus I’m not a Java programmer ;)

10. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

I do vaguely remember this. Unfortunate for us, so much more so for him.
    Yes, I can sympathise. I'd like to build a perpetual motion electricity generator but am also too busy & unfortunately, I'm as dumb as dog sh*t.

Every time I get a notification for new posts in this thread my heart skips a beat in anticipation of some good news. I remain optimistic that there's still hope for Zellyfin.
    For the time being, I've decided not to update my Jellyfin server for fear of breaking Zellyfin. Everything is working pretty great as-is.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. Sledgehamma

Same here!
    Another solution would be Zidoo adding it to the Jellyfin client themselves but I guess they have their hands full with Eversolo and the new generation. Maybe they can do that later.

12. Enet

Enet Active Member

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying YOU should do this. I'm just telling you MY experience :)

I updated Jellyfin server to the latest version when it came out and recently went back to using "Zellyfin" and so far I have no issues". After reading this sentence, please re-read the disclaimer.

13. Sledgehamma

I’m also running latest version without issues.

14. Enet

Enet Active Member

Didn't his last message acknowledge the job and health issues but still say he was coming back?

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yeah but that was posted Feb 11 and he hasn't visited the forum since Feb 12.

16. Enet

Enet Active Member

Yeah I know. If he does decide to continue then from what he has said, it's going to be a very large undertaking and will take a considerable amount of time. But until we know for sure we can't just assume that the project is dead.

17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sorry to say, but I think the writing's on the wall.

Andy's Github page hasn't moved in 10 months either and there is no response to @s on here.

18. Enet

Enet Active Member

Yeah I know. Real life!

19. Six66Mike

Six66Mike Member

FYI Jellyfin has moved support to their own dedicated forum, so if you have any specific Jellyfin issues, you no longer need to use Reddit. The Reddit group is now read-only.

https://jellyfin.org/posts/new-forum/

20. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Can confirm app still works on new SOCs. Haven't done vert thorough testing but it loads and plays in the zidoo player.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023