It is possible using the vs10 engine with HDR+?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Joao Franco, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Joao Franco

Joao Franco Member

I bought a new receiver (Denon X4700H ) that has HDR +
    If the settings on the Z9X are in auto on my Panasonic when I am watching a movie that has HDR + the TV logo appears.
    But when I have the VS10 Engine on, it no longer appears.
    This means that Dolby Vison VS10 overlaps.
    But I am not seeing the film with dynamic metadata that HDR + provides.
    Any options where you can use the VS10 Engine and HDR + without overlapping each other?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve.

I assume your Panasonic does DV and LLDV, which means that if you use the VS10 engine in any mode that includes HDR it will convert that HDR signal to DV or LLDV (dependent on the Priority setting) regardless of whether it's HDR10, HDR10+ or HLG.

You can't use VS10 for HDR10 content and use the Realtek engine for HDR10+ content - the idea of VS10 is to convert all content to the best available format your TV supports.

You could use "Dolby Vision VS10 engine(for SDR content)" which would mean HDR10 and HDR10+ (and HLG) would be played natively using the Realtek engine and only SDR would be converted using VS10 but I don't really see the point.

Your best bet is just set HDR to "Auto" then everything is played natively, including HDR10+.

3. Joao Franco

Joao Franco Member

Hi
    Thks for help.
    My Panasonic Oled don´t have DV,only HDR and HDR+.
    I think the best option is to use the auto mode.
    I think that if VS10 improves the image the difference is very small at least for my eyes and on my TV.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, I honestly think that unless you have good reason not to (projectors being a prime example) you're definitely better with Auto so everything appears as intended and isn't messed with.