Is there a way to watch DV Content as HDR10+ via Tone Mapping?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by jakejake2115, Dec 18, 2023.

1. jakejake2115

jakejake2115 New Member

Hey all, I've had a Z9X for about a year now and have been loving it. I was previously using it with a LG B2 that has Doby Vision. I play remuxs and it was simple before, my B2 would get Dolby Vision and my receiver would get atmos. I recently upgraded to a Samsung S90C that has HDR10+ and not Dolby Vision. I'm trying to understand how to get the best HDR quality with my equipment and I was looking into the Zidoo settings and custom EDIDs.

My question is, is there any way at all to take a Dolby Vision Remux and watch it on my S90C with the dynamic metadata? As of right now anything I watch in Dolby Vision defaults to HDR10, but I wanted to see if theres a way to convert it to HDR10+ in the settings. From what I can tell this isn't possible, but if Im understanding correctly can I run a custom edid and allow the Zidoo to tone map the Dolby Vision remux's so that it plays static metadata HDR10 on my tv but it has the same quality as if it were Dolby Vision?

I hope that makes sense, pretty much just trying to maximize my HDR experience. Thanks all and appreciate any responses!

2. jakejake2115

jakejake2115 New Member

Edit: Im pretty much trying to understand this line from another thread "Effectively this allows true Player Led Dolby Vision to be viewed on a non Dolby Vision display since Player Led processing allows the dynamic tone mapping to happen in the player and the display receives a static gamma according to the St.2084 standard."

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Because VS10 is a Dolby proprietary technology and HDR10+ is Samsung (and others), there's no way to convert Dolby Vision to HDR10+ on the fly.

However, if you set HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For DV content)", because your TV is HDR10, this will use the dynamic metadata present in the Dolby RPU as it converts to HDR10 in a similar way to how LLDV works (If you set HDR to "Auto" it just uses the HDR10 layer on its own without the Dolby Vision metadata).

You can also view Dolby Vision natively on the Samsung - if you use an LLDV EDID you can output LLDV and then tell the Samsung this is HDR10 - but you need an HDFury devices (ideally a Vertex 2) to do this - see attached.

Attached Files:

Fatalius likes this.
  4. jakejake2115

jakejake2115 New Member

Would you say getting an HDFury device would be superior quality-wise? Or would I get the same quality as using the Dolby Vision VS10 Engine? Also when you say it will use the dynamic metadata present in the Dolby RPU, does that mean it my S90C is in fact playing Dolby Vision, but my tv will say HDR10? Thanks!

5. Markswift2003

An HDFury device would allow you to view Dolby Vision natively on the Samsung. It works very well, but as to whether it's better than VS10 HDR10 from a Dolby Vision source - very subjective.

No, not as such - Using VS10 to convert DV to HDR10 uses the dynamic metadata of the RPU - one way to think about this is that it's pre-tone mapped HDR10 which as I say is similar to how LLDV works.

6. jakejake2115

jakejake2115 New Member

Gotcha, I probably cant justify spending hundreds on a vertex so I'll try out the VS10 mode. For using VS10 to convert the metadata do I need to change my EDID or LLDV/TV Led Dolby Vision settings at all? Or do I just have to change HDR to VS10 for all formats

7. Markswift2003

To be fair the VS10 mode does a pretty good job of it.

No need to mess with EDIDs or anything else - just set HDR to VS10 for all DV content and you're good to go.

Then you'll get SDR, HDR10 and HDR10+ natively and Dolby Vision will be converted to HDR10 using VS10 and the dynamic DV metadata.

The only caveat is that if the content is Dolby Vision Profile 7 with an HDR10+ base layer, the DV metadata is used instead of the HDR10+ metadata.

lucian_O94 likes this.
  8. jakejake2115

jakejake2115 New Member

Okay thanks, so if I know my remux is in HDR10+ (wont be often lol) I should change that to HDR10 instead of VS10? That way it does the HDR10+ base layer and not the DV

9. Markswift2003

You'd change to "Auto", but honestly I wouldn't bother - I doubt you'd ever notice any difference.

10. lucian_O94

lucian_O94 New Member

Hello everyone, I am the new owner of a zidoo z20 pro (the first in the media player category, until recently I had an nvidia shield 2015). zidoo seem to be quality devices with great potential but really at the moment the Achilles heel is the firmware part that still needs a lot of work on it for optimization and problem solving. I connected the z20 pro to a Samsung q950a soundbar which in turn is connected to a Samsung qn95a TV. zidoo I connect it through the soundbar because the TV does not process the DTS format. (the TV doesn't support DV, so I don't expect it to produce DV but to read my hdr10 layer from mkv with dv). initially I had various playback problems because any mkv DV or hdr10 file would not go after I pressed play and would freeze after 5 seconds. After doing the settings illustrated on the forum by Mark, it seems that the problem was solved and the files ran. This with HDR settings on Auto. the problem remained that any file I run DV, zidoo plays it with dolby vision VS (somehow it fails to read the hdr10 layer). if I start an mkv with hdr10 without having DV, it correctly identifies hdr10 and runs. all these things happened with the original Frwm version up to date .58 as it were. however reading on the forum today I also put the .65 beta version with G apps. After installation, I did a reset to be sure that everything is ok. the surprise was that it didn't even play in my mkv file, be it DV or hdr10. After I played with the settings in HDR Auto -> vs10 output hdr, the files started playing normally again. mkv with DV are played in Vs10 DV and mkv hdr in hdr10. However, I was not satisfied because hdr always remained on the gui interface from zidoo. So I said to switch to Auto hdr again and to see the surprise everything returned to normal working and reading mkv as it should hdr with hdr except the DV ones which are still played with vs10 DV. my question is now, I ask you, having this setup with samsung tv what would be the most correct settings to run without problems and with perfect picture quality? thank you and sorry for my english.