Is there a way to refresh ALL mediainfo-type metadata without going show by show?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by RasterEyes, Nov 13, 2023.

1. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

Just to be clear, by "mediainfo-type metadata" I mean technical info about video and audio codecs, number of channels, etc. NOT TMDB-type metadata about actors, genres, etc.

I've updated audio tracks for a large number of videos in my collection, but my Z10 Pro doesn't show different badges for the updated audio on the Poster Wall until I manually refresh each show, one at a time using the "More..." button and then the button.

The "Refresh Metadata" pop-up menu item doesn't seem to work to update mediainfo on all episodes of a TV season as I hoped it might, which wouldn't be all I want, but would have been an improvement over refreshing one episode at a time.

I don't want to use to "Update" option to re-scan my entire video library, since I'm afraid that will wipe out all of the matching corrections I've done manually to fix mismatches made by automatic scanning.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Unfortunately not.

The rescraping options in HT are very primitive - for example you can't rescrape for metadata changes or even NFO changes. The "Update" button doesn't really do what you expect either - it only looks for filename changes, so it would have been safe, if somewhat useless, for you.

The easiest way I can think to do this is to export NFOs and artwork, and then rescrape the source(s).

This will restore all your content as is, retaining any manual corrections and current art.

Refresh all technical metadata without a full reset
    ===================================================

1. Make a backup (just in case!) - HT Settings/Library > "Backup"

2. Export NFOs and Artwork - HT Settings/Library > "Export"

3. Remove scraped data from source(s) - HT Sources, <menu>, "Clean up"

4. Set HT Settings/Preferences/NFO parse default option to "Priority"

5. Set HT Settings/Preferences/Use local images first > <ON>

6. Add sources back and scan

The only downside to NFO scanning is that the relational links between
    cast and movies isn't there so you can't drill down from cast to movies
    in the Personal History view of cast members.

3. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

That's probably a good approach, but my media player currently has read-only access to my video library, and I prefer to leave it that way.

I've made a few changes before by making a backup, unzipping that backup, modifying the DB, zipping it all back up, and restoring from that modified back up.

I was, of course, hoping for a convenient built-in way to update all of the metadata, but since such a thing doesn't exist, I'll probably write some code to directly update the mediainfo JSON for every file in the database.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Good plan - a full refresh of NFO and mediainfo would be very useful though...