Is 4K 60Hz frame rate working properly?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Schumy, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

The correct way would be to let the player send unchanged video true to the source in original resolution and frame rate without any skipped or doubled frames ;)

Your display device has video processors optimized for display panel. Any adjustments and calibration should be done there.

In some cases you may need to adjust something at the source to match other devices. Sometime it just looks and works better when done at the source like up conversion. This should be the last resource.

2. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

agree, for a couple of reasons:
    1) 4k60hz at source probably will demand decent hdmi cables (hence cost)
    2) 24hz to 60hz wont be as good as 24 to 120hz (which newer led tvs supports)

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Not that obvious. Some people prefer 24fps to 60Hz 3:2 pulldown over true cinematic 24fps. 60Hz was preferred display frequency on plasma TV's even if the TV was capable of refreshing in multiplier of 24fps. Another case is OLED screens. My OLED TV is internally refreshing at 120Hz. The screen does not dim on updates and there is absolutely no flicker. 24fps with RealCinema mode produces perfect cinematic cadence with 5:1 pulldown (each frame refreshed 5 times). Since source frame to frame transition is instant without blur common to LCD perfect sharp single image stays for full 1/24s. Sequence of those images makes choppy and strobing motion. Converting to 60Hz generates 6:4 pulldown on 120Hz display. Frames don't advance evenly and some panning scenes generate wavy motion. Still there are people that prefer this in order to brake up frame persistence in favour of this 60Hz shimmering motion.

One last case of 24 to 120Hz is using frame interpolation, my preferred option. Motion processor will generate missing frames to make the motion smoother in various levels all the way to silky smooth 120fps. On the downside of this conversion is lack of Cinematic experience (soap opera), images stay sharp while in motion reviling some unwanted details, artifacts start to pop up in generated frames.

All those options are available in the TV. All Zidoo has to do is to send source video untouched over HDMI.

4. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

Can good & kind people here post photos of their display settings here pls?

So that we can share & learn.

5. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

We should probably create new thread with best settings and practices.

Since you asked here I can make some basic points.
    There are 2 areas that effect player output and quality:
    1. Quick Settings > Playback > Automatic Frame Rate > Frame Rate Mode > Switch frame rate and resolution
    This allows the player to play source file in original resolution and refresh rate to the display device. TV or projector should handle all scaling and image processing.

2. Quick Settings > Display > Advanced Settings > Deep Color Mode > 10 bit
    > Color Space Mode > Auto
    > HDMI Range Mode > 16-235

This is just a basic standard reference. You may have something specific to use different settings. Most of other stuff or anything within ZDMC does not effect the quality of display image from Zidoo player.

IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1141.JPG

6. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

its more personal preference and differenct manufacturers use different names. rtings have some good vids explaining what they do:

gymnos likes this.
  7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

This a good overview video about motion processing in general based on LCD technology. OLED adds another twist to this equation. Lack of blur on frame transitions makes cinematic 24fps rather harsh and strobing motion even compared to celluloid film projector. Small amount of interpolation takes the edge off the strobing effect but still preserves cinematic look.

gymnos likes this.
  8. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

interestingly, i didnt notice the interpolation artifacts until i watched the rtings vid. personally i found it less annoying than the 24fps stutter

9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I’m on your side @kfpanda. Call it Soap Opera if you wish but it is much closer to natural smooth motion than 24fps stutter specially on modern fast displays ;)

10. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

For Harddisk that feeds to Z9s, Must connect using USB3 to get smooth 4K 60Hz frame rate ?
    USB2 is too slow I think ?

The HDMI cable comes with Z9s, can it support 4K 60Hz ?

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  11. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i tried w a usb stick via usb 2 port. works fine but bit rate of the vids~50-60Mbs only. I guess it will also depend on the particular harddisc you have rather than usb 2 or 3. (ie if usb 2 only,probably quite old n slow)

12. Is it possible to get AI frame interpolation/smooth motion done by the box itelf. I know many displays also support this but it can also be done by the source even. Example is SVP team project for win. I think it is the only live AI frame interpolation software/extension which can be added to your VLC/MPC and makes videos much smoother. I used it and was very happy with it. But its paid. Zidoo boxes are fully capable to do it via software engine update i suppose.

13. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I truly hope not!

If CEC is the work of the Devil, Frame interpolation and smooth motion are truly the spawn of the Beelzebub himself and should never be used.

14. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

24 fps motion is too harsh on eyes specially using OLED displays. There is no blurring effect like in LCD screens to smooth out transition of frame to frame. OLED holds each frame for 1/24s and pops next instantly in its place. Motion looks very choppy this way. A bit of frame interpolation takes the edge out of the choppiness and still preserves film cadence. After all real life is smooth and not in 24fps ;)

15. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i agree. i am v sensitive to 24fps stutter and cant watch movies in cinema now since i could clearly notice the strobe on the screen (after used to my 120hz tv). the horizon panning shots r just painful to watch.

3DBuff likes this.