Initial questions

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Geon, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Geon

Geon New Member

Hello. My X9 arrived yesterday and I quickly connected it. I have a cable box going to the HDMI-IN, the HDMI-Out is going to my TV, and S/PDIF going to my receiver. This is the same configuration I used for my Logitech Revue, which the X9 is replacing. I never had any issues with the Revue using this config

First thing was to upgrade to 1.0.2.7. This went smoothly. I then inserted a 32GB MicroSD card for extra storage. This worked fine. I have noticed that everytime I boot the device it asks me if I want to open the card - can you stop this pop-up?

Next I set the sound up for RAW. No problem. The device detected that DACOUT1080p/60 was the best option to use, and it was right. I used the "HDMI IN" app and found that the surround sound passthrough was working (I found the movie "Sucker Punch" and I could clearly hear distinct sound from all 5 channels). It would be nice if there was a way to force the "HDMI IN" app to run at boot. That way the kids could turn the TV and x9 on to watch cable without having to use the x9 remote.

I used Explorer to access some SMB shares I have setup. I was able to watch a 720p movie with AC3 surround (5.1) with no problem. I was able to watch a 1080p movie with AC3 surround with no problem. I had a 1080p movie with DTS and there was some clipping and it appeared that the system was struggling to keep up with the video as well. I tried to play these with Kodi with limited success, it seems that the player still needs work.

Now for the odd problems.
    I'll start by saying that I have great internet service. Fiber to the home (FIOS) and most speed tests tell me that I have 68Mbps DOWN and 22Mbps UP. Using Bittorrent I can regularly hit ~8MB/s (which is about 64Mbps). I've never had an issue with any movie streaming application.

Netflix - I was never able to get surround sound (Dolby Digital). Every video I tried to play started out in a pretty low resolution. After about 30 seconds there would be some digital noise on the screen and the picture would get much clearer - but I'm not sure it was HD. Under the "Sound" menu for any of the movies (I used Super 8 and Hunger Games to test with) my only option was English - it didn't give me the option for surround. It's like NetFlix didn't recognize that I was on an HD device. This was never an issue with the Revue.

YouTube - Pretty much the same issue. I used the "Age of Ultron Trailer 3" video for my test. On my phone (Samsung Note 3) I could view the video in 1080p resolution. On the x9 I've loaded the YouTube and YouTube for GoogleTV apps..and I tried each for these experiments. The best resolution that YouTube would offer was 720 - even though my phone was offered 1080. I don't believe YouTube supports Surround Sound, I think all the videos are 2.0

VuDu - I signed into this service to test the resolution and surround sound issues. I used "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" for my test, as I own it in HDX and I know it will play in Surround Sound on the revue. The movie would only play in SD and stereo sound. I tried to play a few HD trailers that were supposed to be in Surround Sound - the first trailer (MockingJay) kind of played - it went through the entire trailer in about 10 seconds and the sound only played in clips and seemed to only come from the left/right speakers. The second trailer "Fury" seemed to crash/hang the app. This worked fine using the Flixster app on the Revue.

Google Play Movies - I tested with "Transformers" and "LoTR 1" - I own both in HD. Both viewed in very low resolution and neither had surround sound. I attempted to watch a trailer (the new Hobbit) and it did the same thing that the VuDu app did - the whole clip played in about 10 seconds, the sound was choppy. This worked fine on the Revue.

Clock - The front facing clock showed a 12-hour format time when I figured connected the device. I went into Settings and set the correct time zone (Eastern -4) and the device immediately showed a 24-hour clock, even though the "24-Hour" check box was NOT checked. I checked it and unchecked it, then rebooted - still shows a 24-hour clock.

2. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Thanks for your feedback,
    good idea,We will create it in version v1.0.2.8
    At the same time, we will try to fix other problems you mentioned, such as the clock problem

3. Geon

Geon New Member

Please add Hulu to the list of streaming apps that won't work properly. Hulu ads will play, but the actual videos won't. It just says "Buffering". I have confirmed that I can stream HD video to my PC from Hulu with no problem.

4. user59

user59 Member

The request to open external pop-up on boot is a pain. +1
    Best I can get out of netflix is 1740kbs =720 x 480 same with most of these boxes.

On the Home screen you have the 4 icons lower right as indication, maybe in a future release an option to click on them or similar to
    browse external devices enable/disable wifi and bt etc. Quick short cuts to system settings, and customise so you can add a few of
    your own apps for a quick start without needing to go thru menus.
    Thanks

5. Gerardo Chiaradonna

Gerardo Chiaradonna New Member

Bit Scary
    just ordered 2 X9 box to replace my himedia quad core
    anyone tested streaming from kodi?
    i'm of 19 mb down 1 mb up

6. don knox

don knox New Member

Geon, thanks for bringing up these issues. I'm excited the developers seem keen to improve this at each update. The Netflix lack of Digital Audio is certainly an issue I hope will be changed soon.