Ignore EDID function disables auto-switch - bad behaviour

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by xliv, Apr 3, 2020.

1. xliv

xliv Member

Hi,

Since the 2.3.10 update (I think), the "Ignoring EDID function" was added, instead of the former feature that allowed to force a resolution at boot.

I used to force 1080p23 at boot (because most of my movies are 1080p23), and the resolution was changed automatically only when watching another type of content (say 4k HDR).

Now, the "ignore EDID function" that replaces what I was using, also disables the auto-switch. So I can't use it at all. And now my Zidoo boots most of the time in 1080p60, which is what I want to avoid.

Any way to restore the previous behaviour?
    Or is there an alternative way to force an HDMI resolution at boot, while keeping the auto-switch functional?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

"Ignoring EDID function" works as designed. Obviously it disables the auto switch as it won't detect the capabilities of the TV anymore.

The previous setting in fact was not working for me. I wanted it to default to 1080P23 too as it is the most used format by me, but it would go to 1080P60 as that was clearly preferred by my TV (using EDID). So it worked only for some TV models.

Bottom line I think they went for that setup which just works as intended always. Ignoring EDID is in general not a good idea, but for those who want to control things fully manually it can do what they want. Use auto resolution plus auto frame-rate myself instead.

3. xliv

xliv Member

Ah, bummer - the "force 1080p23 at boot" was working just fine for me. Weird it did not for you. In my setup, HDMI goes to the amp, then splits out to TV and projector. All 3 are fairly recent and support most of the resolutions that the Zidoo can output.

The "ignore EDID", in my case, is plain useless. I guess in my case, I'd be happier if it would switch to other resolutions, even without reading the EDID info.