How exactly does the MaxCLL/MaxFALL toggle work?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Jimbo Randy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

@Markswift2003 I noticed when watching Dolby Vision titles in a completely dark room, that when there is a pitch black scene (like fade to black before credits), I can notice that the black level is not completely 0. Is this normal to see on OLED screens because they are capable of true black, so anything even slightly above 0 will be obvious? Is it because movies are mastered to ever so slightly above black and not actually absolute 0 nits? I know the black level issue on the Zidoo was fixed, so I doubt it's related to that issue. I was just curious. Example would be a remux file of the Northman, where mastering display luminance of the metdata shows 0.0001 nits as the minumum for mastering display luminance. You can't really tell if you watch in a room with some light, but after watching the entire movie in pitch black, I definitely saw non-black when it faded to credits. It could also just be temporary image retention on the OLED after watching a 2 hour movie. The panel could have been a bit hot and taken a minute or so to fade to pure black. What do you think?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Could be content, could be the display, could be calibration, could even be persistence of vision.

My honest advice is forget all this and watch movies ;)

Don't look for flaws because they'll only annoy you when you find them.

3. Jimbo Randy

Yea it very well could have been this lol. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for all of your help! I am off to watch some movies.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. Jimbo Randy

I haven't looked too much into the HDFury devices, aside from the AVRkey that I have. With the other HDFury devices, can you actually make something specify a maxcll/maxfall/MaxDML value for the HDR10 metadata? If so, I may need to look into one of these for my monitor. If that was the case, I could figure out the maxcll of different games extremely easily, and then maybe the monitor would use a better tone curve rather than using its own wacky values.

5. Markswift2003

Certainly, you can create a custom HDR string and decide under what circumstances it's sent instead of the current string:

upload_2023-4-24_8-40-40.png

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Are you saying even if I am using a regular device like Z9X on an HDMI, I would benefit from changing the HDMI to a PC source? I have a C9, thanks.

7. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Try it , see what you think. I guarantee you, that once it's in PC mode, Vivid will look like Filmmaker mode, but, better. Try yourself, and you get to decide if it's better for you, or not.

I would assume you have the Zidoo set at 4:4:4: for 30p and below.

If you want me to share my settings in PC mode, let me know.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  8. Jimbo Randy

Would the Integral 2 also do that? The vertex is like $400 right? Lol.

9. Jimbo Randy

@Markswift2003 this isn't a Zidoo issue. I'm noticing that Dolby Vision content has noise to it. If I go to an all black Dolby Vision scene, I see almost like black noise. Like the snowy screen you'd see when TVs used to have no signal, except it's on a black screen, and the noise is more like slightly grey so it shows on the all black screen. It's super noticeable in a pitch black room. I tested and it happens with all dobly vision sources. Even the built-in TV apps. Any ideas what's going on? Have you heard of this before? Would it just be how the C1 processes Dolby Vision?

10. Markswift2003

Integral 2 will do that too, but it doesn't have a web GUI, only an app, so it needs to be connected to a PC by USB to control.

The Vertex 2 is connected to the network and has a web GUI. It can also be controlled by IP, IR and RS232.

The Integral 2 is basically a Vertex 1 without the OLED display and is really a set it and forget it device. Very powerful, but nothing like as good as a Vertex 2.

11. Markswift2003

Nope - never heard that before.

12. Jimbo Randy

Apparently it's the dithering that dolby vision uses. It can create like "swimming patterns" on the screen at near black/black.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2022-lg-c2-g2-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3250717/page-209

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/uankot/really_weird_thing_happening_on_lg_c1_on_black/

I wanted to mention this to you because you'll eventaully get more people saying that the Zidoo has "raised blacks" in dolby vision. So you could always point them to this to get them off your back :). I confirmed this is NOT a Zidoo-specific issue.

13. Jimbo Randy

Damn you. Now I need to buy a Vertex 2 lol. I ended up returning that weird LG monitor. I'm going to wait for something else to come along, hopefully with HGIG and tone mapping control like on the LG TVs.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. Oldpainless

And, this is why I asked @Markswift2003 to strip the DV info from my EDID and just use the VS10 engine to map DV content to HDR - on my panel, DV looks dull, flat and has grey in the white range, regardless of what settings i use on the LG OLED or the Zidoo.

15. Markswift2003

DV looks great on my Samsung ;)

Oldpainless likes this.
  16. Oldpainless

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Looks good on my LG too :D - sry @Oldpainless

18. Jimbo Randy

I'll need to test it out a bit more to see what is going on.

Are you guys using normal Cinema mode for DV? And just curious, what do you guys have "brightness" on? LG has like 3 brightness settings so this would be the one that defaults to 50 on SDR/HDR/DV. lol.

19. Jimbo Randy

Update: changing that brightness slider to 49 instead of 50 got rid of it. Did anyone else with an LG have to do this?

20. Oldpainless

lol. Must be just my set or chain. Hey Ho....I can live with using VS10 to map to HDR for the very few DV titles I have - looks great to me.