How can I refresh missing video metadata? (Z10Pro)

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by RasterEyes, Aug 15, 2023.

1. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

For many videos in my video collection, I see plenty of technical metadata about the videos I'm browsing, like this:

[screenshot removed]

As you can see, this is a 4K video with HDR 10, encoded with H.265, it has Dolby Atmos audio, and a frame rate of 23.976 Hz.

In this case, however:

[screenshot removed]

...all I see is that it's an MKV file, period.

Rematching the video doesn't help. In fact, I think I'm missing metadata most often for videos that were originally mismatched and that I had to manually rematch.

Is there a way to prompt my Z10Pro to scan a file again and retrieve the missing metadata? Is this just a bug that needs to be fixed?

2. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

3. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

4. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

(I couldn't post the screenshots in my first post as I'd wished -- I was getting errors that the post was considered spam. So I posted the images as follow-ups instead.)

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Click the "More" button at the bottom of the page and then press the Refresh button on the info page that pops up.

6. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

I've tried that. The "More" screen itself has all to info, but refreshing it doesn't fix the main display, as seen in the screenshots I posted. Even if I leave the Home Theater mode completely, then come back in, the only info displayed is "MKV".

7. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Have you tried refreshing the meta data? Pop menu last menu item at the bottom and then opening the folder and trying more again...

8. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

I see no such option in the popup menu.

My options when the movie's thumbnail is selected are Change Image, Re-Match, Mark as watched, Unavailable For Children, Remove From Collection, Clean up matching information, Add to Category, and Add to Category 2. No "Refresh" option.

While inside the full display for a video (as shown in these screenshots -- that display, whatever it might be called) there is no popup menu. Inside the display that pops up after "More" is selected, there is no popup menu, only the circular refresh icon, which is what I've already selected and tried before.

Perhaps when you say, "Pop menu last menu item at the bottom" I'm not understanding "at the bottom" of what.

9. Netmask

Scroll down to the very last menu item.

Screenshot_20230816-060518.png

10. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

Weird. I have no such menu item. When I scroll below "Add to Category 2", my menu selection just wraps back around to "Change Image" at the top.

My firmware version is v6.4.42, which the system tells me is up to date.

11. Netmask

Possibly it hasn't been added yet for the Z10 pro? I have a UHD3000. My firmware is beta v6.4.62

12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Presumably you are using local NFO - the refresh option is only available for online scraped sources.

13. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

Maybe we're talking about different metadata then? I'm talking about metadata which describes the characteristics of my MKV files, which isn't something that would or could be scraped from online sources.

It's not actors and directors and ratings (the kinds of things found online) I want to refresh, it's the characteristics of my locally-stored files: video resolution, audio codecs, frame rate, etc.

14. Netmask

15. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

16. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

Nevermind. I found it. Just put the software on a thumb drive.

17. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

Installing v6.4.62 got me the "Refresh metadata" option that I didn't have before.

Unfortunately, it didn't help. I'm guessing this refresh functionality is more related to the scraped actor/director/ratings type of metadata, and not the resolution/codec/frame-rate type of file metadata.

18. Netmask

Change the file name slightly, say add the year in brackets
    "Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)"

19. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

I'm sure something like that would help, but I'd rather wait until there's a real fix. Besides being fussy about keeping my file naming consistent, every changed file becomes a file that needs to be backed up to my backup NAS. Thanks for all of your help, however!

Netmask likes this.
  20. Netmask

Sometimes you simply have to include the year if there are several movies with the same name. I don’t know why but sometimes if you play the file it will populate the information, it’s happened to me more than a few times.