How can I disable DolbyVision and only play HDR?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by RXP, Nov 22, 2023.

1. RXP

RXP New Member

I have an LG C1. I had it calibrated by the retailer upon release. But I just ran some near black test patterns through it and it turns out the calibration crushes a lot of shadow detail. Thankfully I was able to get some back by raising the brightness 2 or 3 steps in SDR/HDR. There is still no afterglow on a 0% pattern in a pitch black room so I'm happy with that.

However the DolbyVision calibration is shadow crushed and I cannot get the detail back without getting an afterglow on 0%.

So for now being that shadow detail and real black will outweigh any improvements I get from an RPU layer how can I disable DolbyVision on the Z9X and only display the HDR version?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just load an EDID without Dolby Vision.

LG C1 EDID without Dolby Vision:

https://mega.nz/file/0XpzQYTL#ErvmdHfKtdZL1cQoPbfu6i0Mwxt6ZlRHj3OpjZdsg-s

3. RXP

RXP New Member

Thanks so much Mark! That was fast

4. Markswift2003

Are you connecting directly to the C1 or through an amp?

(the C1 EDID only supports AC3, E-AC3, PCM & MAT audio - there's no DTS)

5. RXP

RXP New Member

I'm connecting through a Reciever - I do need all lossless Dolby/DTS codecs too. Is there anyway I can create them myself rather than keep bothering you?

I tried out the EDID and it worked a treat for playing in HDR.

6. Markswift2003

Ok - send your EDID with the receiver connected to the TV and I'll remove the Dolby Block from that.

It's easy to do with an EDID editor, but a bit of a learning curve, but it takes me about 3 seconds :)

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

7. RXP

RXP New Member

Hey,

Thanks again for doing this.

I have a C1 connected to a Marantz SR6012 that supports all codecs.

Interestingly enough I did a few tests - the Dolby TrueHD passes through fine. But on DTS tracks it won't work. Which I guess is a limitation of the eARC

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  8. Markswift2003

ARC and eARC can be a PITA so I would only use as a last resort and then only to get TV audio back to an amp.

I use an optical connection from my TV back to the amp (for Netflix/Amazon etc TV apps) to avoid using ARC.

But ARC shouldn't affect anything if you are connecting:

Zidoo > Marantz > LG

The LG EDID is passed to the Marantz, and the combined LG/Marantz EDID is passed to the Zidoo and that certainly supports all codecs including all flavours of DTS.

Almost forgot the EDID - attached without DV :)

Don't forget to rename to .bin

Attached Files:

9. RXP

RXP New Member

Tested and working thanks! Can get all that nice shadow detail back. The infamous dark scene from House of Dragons actually looks watchable now!