HomeTheater in scope format?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by deibit, Oct 24, 2021.

1. deibit

deibit New Member

Hi,

I have seen that the HomeTheater4 application offers quite a bit of optimization. But I wonder if what I am looking for is supportable (somehow)

In my home theater room, I have a scope format screen (2.40:1) and I only project scope movies on it. So whenever I show 16:9 format the image projects outside of the screen.

This is of course suboptimal when I use the menu, is there a way to customize the menu to show things only in the 2.40:1 frame? or a way to zoom in the menu? (only the menu, the movies should not be zoomed in, of course)

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sorry no, the GUI can't be scaled to 'scope.

Has your projector not got lens memory to set a 16:9 image within the height of the screen when viewing 16:9 content?

3. deibit

deibit New Member

I see, yes my projector has lens memory (JVC) but that's also far away from optimal.. since it's a "mechanical" lens adjustement (not digital), it needs several seconds to adjust and it's never spot on (needs manual adjustement after). So definitely it's not something you want to do more than once in a movie evening. I use the lens memory for the (rare) cases where I want to see a 16:9 movie though.

Another option I was considering was to use the iPad app for browing the catalogue.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, the ipad is a good idea - and use the soft masks on the JVC - I do that with VAR movies. I have a CIW screen so when I set the screen to scope and play a movie with variable aspect (Nolen et al) I set the soft masks on the JVC to mask to 2.35 so I don't get spill on the screen masks when the 16:9 scenes come it.

To be fair, it's feasible to disable Category View on the Zidoo, set it to auto-start at the posterwall and use software masks on the JVC and you'll get a half decent looking scope view.

You'll lose the top of the top row of posters:

upload_2021-10-24_12-32-58.png

But once you scroll down, the whole poster page scrolls smoothly up and down but focus remains in the middle until you get to the bottom rows:

upload_2021-10-24_12-33-53.png

5. deibit

deibit New Member

that with the soft mask it's actually a good idea! I will explore that..

Meanwhile I also found, a Kodi skin called MyScopeNox. Seems to work pretty well with ZDMC19.1, still need to figure out how to visually tag the 3D isos/mkv in Kodi's video wall. Sometimes I have two versions of the same movie, one in 3D and one in 2D, HT4 tags/group them "out of the box", while Kodi doesn't.