help: z9x HDMI output broken

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Schumy, Dec 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Schumy

Schumy Member

dear all, please help, my z9x which has been in use for a couple years all of suddenly developed a problem, it boots up normal (as the front display lights up) but seems it does not output any HDMI signal. i tried different hdmi cables and devices (monitors), no change. my AV receiver (Denon 6700H) seems to even detect the HDMI cable/signal is from the z9x (as it can assign the device name automatically when i plugged the z9x to a different HDMI port in the receiver), but no video comes through to the display.

I wonder if the HDMI port or board on the z9x has expired (all of a sudden without any warning), or is there some way to hard reset the z9x to fix it?

Your advice and guidance is highly appreciated. Many thanks.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's possible that it's outputting a resolution/refresh rate that is not supported.

Once it's booted and you see the time/date in the front display, press the "Resolution" button on the remote a few times in succession, waiting a few seconds between presses for HDMI to sync.

The Resolution button allows you to cycle through different resolutions and refresh rates.

Schumy likes this.
  3. Schumy

Schumy Member

thanks Mark, but I guess that's not the cause because I tested on 2 monitors and both of them are 4K 60 Hz and should be able to accept all possible resolutions the z9x output. anyway I will give it a try. many thanks

4. Schumy

Schumy Member

Big thank you to you Mark, your method worked!!! Really appreciate your help, thanks a lot.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  5. Schumy

Schumy Member

thank you to Mark again, you are a life saver.

last night I almost resorted to a full reset on the z9x, which would be such a big hassle to setup everything again.

i am really surprised that the z9x played up with such a problem all of a sudden. all along it has the problem of not remembering the resolution/frame rate settings, but never had it jumped to one that the monitors cannot display...

is there a permanent fix to this problem?

thanks

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've no idea why it would do that - it can only choose a refresh/resolution that's contained in the EDID so any changes should be supported, HDMI chain notwithstanding.

I've seen this a few times on the forum but never experienced it myself.

One way to mitigate glitches with EDID timing is to save your current EDID and then load it back as a custom one - that way it's always available when the box boots.