Help appreciated. Poster wall goes blank.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Pretzel Man, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Pretzel Man

Pretzel Man New Member

I emailed Zidoo about this but have not heard an answer yet. I am hoping someone here can give me guidance.

Scanned media into Movie Player from 5 sources. (Two Movie Sources, One Music Video Source, One TV Source, One Demo Source, and One Home Movie Source)

I was used to Plex where each of these "areas" had their own menu area. To emulate this, I created Collections and Categories. That way on my main movie page, all the Music Videos, etc. would be under a single menu item.

I don't know if there is a better way, but that is what I did.

After doing a lot of rematching, edits, etc, my movie wall went blank on the Web UI. The same happened on the Zidoo controller app. The Zidoo itself would say "Loading Posters, please wait...."

I waited a long time, then decided to get rid of the latest sources and rescan the earlier ones where I did the most work.

My movies came back and I think scanned in posters again. They came in, but when I rematch or edit, I lose all my posters again...

This has happened many times.

Any ideas?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not a clue what's going on here - in all the years I've been testing for Zidoo (and I REALLY try to break stuff all the time and have been successful on many occasions!) I've never seen anything like this.

In my experience the only time some thing similar to this happens is when HT4, for whatever reason (and to be fair, it's usually finger trouble), loses connection with the source directory(s) but in that case you don't get the "Loading Posters, please wait...." message, you just get a message saying there are no posters.

Not a lot of help I know, but I think that's why you're not getting an answer - no-one's seen this behaviour before...

3. Pretzel Man

Pretzel Man New Member

Thanks Mark,

You are always so helpful I appreciate the comments.

I think my editing corrupted something. I truly doubt it is a lost connection as all is hardwared ethernet.

I had some bad matches and was cleaning up Categories and Collections. One time it happened when I emptied a collection. It did it when the last item in the collection was removed.

When I rescanned, I tried to match the title below. It just locked up saying "Saving user setting, please wait..."

Then everything was gone again.

I'm not sure what to do? Should I just start over? If so, I don't know the best way to do so....

BTW... The item below that wouldn't save was previously rematched by me...

upload_2022-9-9_18-40-39.jpeg

4. Pretzel Man

Pretzel Man New Member

Mark,

Here is something to try in your testing. I kept looking for things I was doing. I was editing a lot of stuff into collections.

Did you know it allows you to edit a collection into the same collection?

I don't know if I did that, but I just noticed that while looking around.

I'm not going to try it so I don't screw things up.

BTW, I did go ahead and delete the collections I created. I did re-add them with the same name.

5. Markswift2003

Not sure what you want me to test - if you mean adding movies into collections manually, then yes I do that and have no problem - it'd be great if you can give me a way to replicate this.

Again, not sure what you mean, but if you're asking can you add one collection inside another collection, then no you can't.

So here's what I do:

I have 3 sources on 3 different NAS drives.

I first scan online and then get the everything as I want it - I did this recently and out of 500 or so movies, I got maybe 3 or 4 mismatches which I fixed. I also had 10 or so movies I wanted to add to existing collections - eg Rogue One and Solo into the Star Wars Collection, that sort of thing. I also create a couple of manual collections - Unbreakable for example because for some reason those three movies aren't seen as a collection by TMDB. A coupld of collections need movies re-ordering - again, Star Wars is an example because they show in release date order.

I also change any posters or backdrops I don't like.

Once the library is where I want it, I export NFOs and artwork so now if I want to (and I do this a lot) I can completely reset HT4 or factory reset etc and when I rescan, I use local assets only and so that gets me exactly back to where I was before.

6. Pretzel Man

Pretzel Man New Member

Hi Mark,

First, Thank you for your info. You have provided great support both here and on the AVSForum.

I know I wasn't clear with my original statement....

I didn't check the Zidoo itself, but I'm pretty sure that with the WebUI, a collection can be assigned to a collection. If you click the edit button for the collection itself, you will see the tab for collections. I think it allows you to assign it to a collection. Even to itself...

I believe I may have done that. I don't know.... I don't want to try it now.

I understand your process exactly. I encountered some of the same items you did (unbreakable for example).

I'm not sure I understand the part on the NFO? I saw an area in Zidoo to backup NFO (I think). I need to look again. I'm unsure on this.

I'm thinking of resetting my unit and starting over.....

Again, thank you.

Jack

7. Markswift2003

Ok great - I've replicated the problem and you're right - using the web interface you can indeed attempt to assign collections to other collections and indeed to themselves!!

If you attempt to move a collection to itself you get exactly the problem you describe - basically the database screws itself and all you see is the loading posters notification.

Here, I'm trying to move "A Quiet Place Collection" into "A Quiet Place Collection".
    I get a confirmation that it's done but from that moment the database sits in the corner with a naughty hat on.

Capture.JPG

Results in the below - the database is now useless.

upload_2022-9-10_17-20-24.png

Also, it's possible to try and put a collection into another collection, again this buggers up the database but this time not as badly - it just means that if you try to go into the collection that you put in another collection, it can't find the movies but the rest of the posterwall still works.

Here I put the "Spider-Man Collection" in "A Quiet Place Collection":

upload_2022-9-10_17-23-19.png

But if you go into the Spider-Man Collection you get this:

upload_2022-9-10_17-24-0.png

So the bottom line, as you say, you need to start again.

You don't need to factory reset, you can just reset HT4 by going to HT4 Settings/Library/Clear Data and hit "Clear"

The NFO thing is in HT4 Settings/Library/Export and allows you to export all artwork and NFO files into each movie folder and then if you happen to need to reset you can use local assets when you rescan so you're not relying on the vagaries of TMDB etc. You do this in HT4 Settings/Preferences/NFO Parse and HT4 Settings/Preferences/Use Local Images First.

Example:

upload_2022-9-10_17-30-16.png

So I just killed my database doing the above collection thing, but it took me about 5 minutes to get it all back again exactly the same using NFOs and local art.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  8. Pretzel Man

Pretzel Man New Member

Got it. Thank you.

I will do as you say and be more careful next time....

9. Markswift2003

Nice catch though ;)