Green screen when playing DV mkv files

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bigbwb, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Oh and BTW, thank you so much for your support and assistance!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, and if not you can submit a key dump to update the hashed keys..

3. Markswift2003

No worries :)

4. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

@Markswift2003

Mark,

I tried your samples and wonder if you give me a hand here, since I am not so sure what is happening. For starters, I setup up my Zidoo Z1000 Pro as you suggested here on forum, using my Sony, SDR, 1080p television.

Profile 5 - played as DV but too bright although black bars, upper and bottom looked very black. Could you tell me why or how to set up Zidoo?
    Profile 7 - not recognized as DV and played as non-4K video, YUV 4:4:4, 8-bit, ITU 709, picture was acceptable. Could you tell me why?
    Profile 8 - played as DV, the best picture, black as good as possible, colors looked correct.

I also tried some samples DV with 59 and 60fps, downloaded from some site mentioned here on forum, it looked extremely good, clear, colors unbelievable good.

The real issue that is struggle for me is how to make my Zidoo to play all content SDR, HDR and DV using Zidoo's DV but with correct black level, not too bright and correct colors. Mostly, when I try 23 or 24fps videos, picture is too bright, foggy, blurry, it looks like I watch through dirty glass. Is there any solution or at least explanation. Sorry for boring you with these, probably answered questions on forum, but I could not find answers by myself.

5. Markswift2003

Can you post a copy of your EDID with the Zidoo connected direct to the TV so I can see the TV's capabilities:

To Download EDID
    ================
    Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID
    Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to post on forum

6. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

This is EDID of my television. Zidoo and television have direct HDMI connection with 2.1 cable. I know that is not mandatory to use 2.1 cable , but I have one. All your advises or modification of EDID for better play of SDR, HDR and DV content using Zidoo's DV engine are the most welcome. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  7. Markswift2003

Ok - so the first thing to know is that your TV can only display SDR Rec.709 so all content must either be in Rec.709 or be converted to Rec.709.

So only Rec.709 content can be displayed natively as Rec.709 - this does not need conversion although the VS10 engine can be used if you wish.

In the case of HDR10 content there are two ways of doing this - the Realtek HDR>SDR engine or the VS10 HDR>SDR engine. VS10 is the more preferable since the colour space conversion is better.

In the case of Dolby Vision, the only way to do it is with VS10.

If you select HDR "Auto" the following happens:

Rec.709 is played natively
    HDR10 is converted to Rec.709 using the Realtek engine
    DV Profile 5 and 8 is converted to Rec.709 using the VS10 engine
    DV Profile 7 is converted to Rec.709 using the Realtek engine

The reason Profile 7 is converted using the Realtek engine is because of the HDR10 base layer and so is treated like HDR10.

Profile 8 also has an HD10 base layer but because Profile 8 can also have an SDR or an HLG base layer, it is converted using VS10.

I would suggest the best option is to use VS10 for HDR10 and Profile 7 DV so you can chose the following options depending on how you want to handle Rec.709 and also the GUI:

1. Use Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for all content)

This means all content whether SDR, HDR10 or DV is processed by the VS10 engine and the GUI is processed by VS10

2. Use Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for SDR,HDR,DV content)

This is the same as #1 except the GUI is not processed by VS10

3. Use Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for HDR,DV content)

This means the GUI and Rec.709 content are shown natively without VS10 processing and VS10 is used for HDR10 and DV content only

Personally I would use #1 and I would also set the GUI resolution to 1080p 23Hz to minimise resyncs. But test them all and see what suits you best.

Remember, you have a 1080p SDR display, so you're never going to get the best out of HDR10 and DV content, but the VS10 conversion is pretty good.

8. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

Thank you Mark.

I did test as you suggested. It is the most acceptable for myself to use #3, since VS10 engine makes SDR content to bright and foggy. Here are the result of jury, which is my own eyes:

1. The best scenario for playing SDR is to use Realtek engine since it is the goal I would like to achieve, let me call it - crystal clear picture, which means it is clean and clear with colors very nice too. SDR is the one I like the most, because of that.

2. I played the same movie I have in SDR, HDR and DV format using VS10, first minute not the whole movie and the outcome is that HDR is to dark and DV is to bright with VS10 engine. Yes, one can play with Zidoo's Picture parameter to adjust it, but there is a small problem which is related to the situation that we have Picture parameter (main menu or menu during playback) by which I can adjust picture for SDR and DV formats. There is another Picture parameter for HDR to SDR but it comes in menu during playback only for HDR formats. Therefore, maybe, the proposal is to have three different Picture parameters, one for SDR, one for HDR and one for DV videos and then one could use it to adjust final picture for all formats separately. I did that for HDR using HDR to SDR Picture parameter, but I cannot use it for DV since it is to bright and if I change Brightness and Contrast in Picture parameter it will be related to SDR too, which would make final picture to dark for SDR content. That is the story for some future firmware if Zidoo guys find this proposal acceptable and possible.

3. I use 1080p 60Hz AUTO as settings since I have a lot of videos in different frame rates and Zidoo matches that by resync very good. Maybe I did not get it right what is the problem when you say to minimize resyncs, since I thought it does it on the beginning of the video playback, adjusting frame rate to play content correctly and then returns back to 1080p 60Hzh after finishing playback. Yes, I have one second of black screen at the beginning and after ending of playback.

9. Markswift2003

I always suggest that people set the GUI frame rate and resolution to the frame rate and resolution of the majority of their content. The only reason I recommend this is to reduce the number of times HDMI has to resync. A resync will occur if either resolution, frame rate or HDR mode changes.

In your case, since you cannot display 4K, the resolution is of course 1080p. So since you only have SDR, the only reason for a HDMI resync is if the frame rate or resolution (576, 480, 720) changes. By setting the frame rate to the same as the majority of your content, you reduce the number of times HDMI resyncs.

Most displays take a few seconds to resync, but if yours only takes 1s then that's not really a problem.

10. darky_zidoo

darky_zidoo Active Member

Doesn't his TV support 4K, hdr and dv?
    https://www.lg.com/nl/televisies/lg-oled65c16la

• HDR type (High Dynamic Range)
      4K Cinema HDR
      HDR format ondersteuning
      Dolby Vision IQ, Filmmaker Mode™, HLG en HDR 10 Pro

Or am I misreading something?

11. darky_zidoo

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23744

Bigbwb likes this.
  12. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Well yes, I think it is due to another user jumping into this thread with his own display issues...not the OP.

13. darky_zidoo

ah ok..thank you