Freezing while streaming from Server

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by robl45, Jun 28, 2023.

1. robl45

robl45 Member

I'm getting intermittent freezing and I thought it might be my server, but now I'm thinking its the Z9X. I was playing Avatar 2 in 3D and it would work fine a decent amount of the time, but then sometimes it would freeze for a second. I was using WIFI, but switched to power link for the server to the router. The Z9X when I first put it to straight into the router was actually working worse than when I just left it on WIFI, later on I tried again and it seemed to work the same wired or on WIFI. Its not the end of the world but it is annoying to have it freeze every once in awhile. I am using NFS share. I had tried SMB, but while windows recognizes the share, I couldn't get Zidoo to recognize it and I believe NFS supposed to be better anyway. Server was streaming a 1080P on plex last night that I thought might be the problem, but it was not using that much bandwidth. I was thinking of upgrading the server but plenty of people run media servers with lowend processors with no issues.

2. robl45

robl45 Member

So update it basically is freezing at anything over about 30mbs bit rate. Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If I read this right you tried Wifi and wired but using a powerlink?

I would never advocate Wifi for streaming anything with a decent bitrate but I would definitely never use a powerlink device..

Also, NFS used to be the protocol of choice years ago because of the network overhead, but that's not the case these days and generally SMB works better on these devices.

4. robl45

robl45 Member

I would use smb but it shows up on my computer fine but won’t work on the zidoo

5. robl45

robl45 Member

I am going to try straight wired as I have a long Ethernet cord but I doubt that makes a difference

6. robl45

robl45 Member

So I tried the long wire and it worked perfectly. I'm really amazed that the powerline being 2400 powerline couldn't get the job done. I'm working now on either dropping a new line or ideally having the cat5 lines already run through my house connected.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Honestly Powerline is terrible for data transfer - it's intrinsically noisy and CRC errors are constantly having to be corrected for which is why it's not really suitable for streaming.

You really can't beat a bit of copper ;)

Phil181 likes this.