Proposal Feature Request: VS10 only on HDR content

Discussion in 'General Development' started by limitz, Jan 6, 2024.

1. limitz

limitz Member

There is an output option to force DV and always use the VS10 engine on both SDR and HDR content.

I'm wondering if we could have a variant of this option to use the VS10 engine on HDR content only. Leave SDR content playing regularly.

I ask this because I feel like the VS10 engine doesn't always do a good job processing and adding DV onto SDR content, but does a stellar job on HDR content. On VS10 processed SDR content light reflections are a bit distracting, and appear over the top. Gleams off glass, white clothing, etc. It's almost glowing at times and just looks inaccurate.

Would love if this "middle ground" existed since I prefer to leave SDR content untouched since there's no native enhancement layer.

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

On my UHD3000 this already exists under Settings——>Display—-> Screenshot_20240106-155514.png Screenshot_20240106-155514.png

3. limitz

limitz Member

Exactly what I'm looking for, but doesn't look like this is an option on the Z9X Pro. Really disappointing.

Hopefully this can be added.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Unfortunately not - I was told that Dolby "requested" these options be removed from the SDK.

No idea why.

5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003
    Does this have implications for any future updates for older models like mine? ie future updates may remove them?

6. Markswift2003

No, I don't think so.

7. limitz

limitz Member

Can you tell me which players still have the options to still do the input driven DV selection like the above screenshot?

It's such a convenience that I'd consider returning my Z9X Pro for a player with that option, if the price difference isn't so substantial.

8. Markswift2003

Any of the 1619DR models - so if you want like for like, just get the Z9X.