External HDD through USB

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Hampus, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Hampus

Hampus New Member

Is there any negative effect to use a external hdd through USB? Will the HDD sleep when I turn off the Zidoo or will it run 24/7?

2. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I'm using three external, one SATA and two USB, HDDs always switched and no issues at all. When Z9X is off, no power is sent to the external drives. But I recommend you to switch off the whole system (AVR, TV, Boxes...) if you can, for energy saving.

3. Hampus

Hampus New Member

Are you using a external 3.5 hdd as well? I'm thinking about buying a 'WD my book' and I know they have a sleep mode, but I guess that only works on a computer where you have the WD-software installed? :)

4. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Zidoo is able to drive a formatted hdd. Actually I'm running a WD 4TB 3.5" Sata 3.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  5. Mariusz

Mariusz Active Member

I have two external WD elements drives connected to the Zidoo Z10 pro via USB - 10TB and 8TB. I have no problem with them. Everything works very well. In addition, in Zidoo I set the disks to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Hampus likes this.
  6. Hampus

Hampus New Member

Perfect! Thank you so much. :)

Mariusz likes this.
  7. Mariusz

Mariusz Active Member

Please. The pleasure is all mine.

8. UTAVATU

UTAVATU Active Member

Dear @Hampus

4x 5TB HDD Seagate One Touch, no problems at all, all connected via TPLink USB 3.0 Hub to USB 3.0 in Z9X.

Sincerely

Hampus likes this.
  9. Verve

Verve New Member

Is there a way to check through zidoo how much disk space there is left for usb hdd?

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes there is going back all the way to the first display of the HDD there is an indication saying space left.

11. LondonGus

LondonGus New Member

This is the solution I'm looking for.... Presumably that's a powered Hub? Surely the Z9X can't power multiple drives at once through a single USB3.0 port?

12. UTAVATU

UTAVATU Active Member

Dear LondonGus

Yep, correct. This is an external powered HUB from TP-Link, at the moment I have connected +1 HDD 5TB, so is summary I have got 5x5TB.

EDIT

My mistake 6x5TB :) Time goes fast.

Sincerely

LondonGus likes this.
  13. dp95zd

dp95zd New Member

I have a question. I play a lot of movie thru z9x's usb external hdds. Recently, I have a 1TB and 2TB m.2 nvme SSD, housing by the Orico enclosures. They're working fine with the laptop, desktop but not on my Ziddo z9x (and my old Micca). I tried everything: different cables, reformated to nfts/exfat, change the GPT?MBR,... Do you have any clue? Thank you.

14. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am using HDD docking stations. Tried above 10x HDD with no problems.

15. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

assuming your USB enclosures are not powered, suggest trying a powered USB hub (as others have done above in this thread) as the NVME drives could be needing more power than is provided by your Z9X.

16. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

+1, definitely you need a powered USB hub.

17. dp95zd

dp95zd New Member

Thank you. I'll try.... or using a different manufacture.