Eversolo Music Library advice and solutions

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Resili22, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Resili22

Resili22 New Member

Hello,

I purchased an Eversolo DMP A8 two months ago and I've got everything working perfectly with the exception of my Local Music Library stored in the SSD slot.

I am having some issues with three topics: the creation of typical categories of music collections, sorting of the information and correction of errors in the display of the information (images generated by the system). Let me explain it:

1.- Categories: I would like to organize my music in three Categories: Artists Albums, Compilations (Various Artists) and Soundtracks (Various Artists).

When I try to get a folder for Compilations and Soundtracks (similar to the Artists folders) I need to edit the metadata of each CD containing a Compilation (I use dbPoweramp) but this does not seem to work for Soundtracks and the system changes its name to: "Various Artists".

Would it be possible to add the choice of creating custom Category Folders with higher hierarchy than the current ones (Artists, Albums, Tracks) for those Titles that contain Various Artists tracks?

Examples: Soundtrack/Album Title/Tracks... or Compilation/Album Title/Tracks...

It would also be very useful if we could edit the current and new categories.

Examples: Delete Genres (I don't use them); Create new Categories like Soundtracks; Adding a number before each Category like: 1- Albums; 2- Compilations; 3- Soundtracks, to place them in the desired order...

2.- Sorting: Add additional sorting options to the current available in the Music section.

Right now if you select any Artist that has multiple Albums, the systems sorts them out only by name...

Would it be possible to select other ways to sort the information, like for example the Year of the Album?

3.- Display: Edit the images of Artists or other categories like those that include titles of Various/Multiple Artists.

Right now the system selects an image for each Artist using any cover image of an album that contains the name of that Artist. many times the Albums do not have the Artist image or the system selects the cover of a Hits album that contain one song of that Artist but the image is not closely related.

Would it be possible to change the images of Artists or other Categories to avoid so many wrongly displayed images?

Thanks a lot for your efforts to make your products truly excellent.

Cheers,
    Jorge

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

I understand what you want, but I don't know how achievable it is. I gave up editing metadata a long time ago, now I have Genres Folder, Artist subfolder, Album subfolder, why complicate my life? Roon made an even bigger mess with my collection on NAS, that's why I said goodbye and cancel subscription.

Resili22 likes this.
  3. Resili22

Resili22 New Member

Thanks for the response.

I’ve got to keep trying as the Music Library is not at the same level as the rest of the features of the A8… besides, I don’t think these changes would imply a great deal of programming. Unfortunately for me Genre/Artist/Album does not help me manage Multiple Artists albums.

Thanks a lot also about the Roon tip as I was thinking on signing up cause I believed it could be more flexible… you saved me a lot of frustration…:)

Cheers,
    Jorge

PS: To the Admin of this forum, does it make sense to add this feature request somewhere else? Are you considering the update of some of the features of the Eversolo Music Library?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  4. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

This might be a bit tricky. You could try to organise your desired Categories
    - Artist Albums
    - Compilations and
    - Soundtracks
    by using the Genre Tag: mark the whole album/folder, open it with mp3tag and assign the desired Category as Genre.

If you later browse by genre on your Eversolo the corresponding Album should show up under the desired Genre.

Personally i took another way for organizing my Compilations and Soundtracks.

For Compilations:
    I pulled the individual Track-Artist into the Track Titel: E.g. "Bad" became "Michael Johnson - Bad" .
    Later i assigned the whole Album the Artist "Various Artists"
    Now i can browse by Artist and find all my Compilations under Artist = "Various Artists"

Soundtracks:
    Same approach here. But in this case i assigned the whole Album the Artist "OST".
    Now all my soundtracks show up under Artist = "OST".
    ....Unless the whole Soundrack Album can be assigned to one dedicated Artists, e. g. Vangelis (Blade Runner Soundtrack)

Resili22 likes this.
  5. Resili22

Resili22 New Member

Thanks a lot Reelyator!

I much prefer your way than changing Genres names for two reasons:

- Your way makes perfect sense and only requires to take some time cutting and pasting (from the file name (same structure than your example) to the track title metadata) the Compilations and Soundtracks metadata.
    - I would have to go over my entire collection and change the already assigned Genre and would not be able to select music by "real" genre.

This will definitely be a solution to fix my categories and I really wish that Eversolo would allow to manage more options of Sorting and edit the crazy images that automatically Displays.

Again, thanks for the ideas and tips.
    Cheers,
    Jorge

6. Resili22

Resili22 New Member

I've got great news:

I posted this topics in another thread "DMP-A8: Feature Requests" and another member, Caldera, explained how can the be fixed.

I was trying to edit the information about Categories/Artists and the images that the system assigns to them and also to the Albums under the top left side of the menu of Eversolo Control (Under Music) and not directly on the unit or using the Cast menus.

If you use the unit display menus or the "Cast" section on the bottom left side of the Eversolo Control app, you can indeed edit the Artist names and images (instead of Various Artists you can write Compilations, or Soundtracks) just by selecting the artist you want to edit and clicking on the three dots right next to it.

This effectively fixes #1 and #3 issues I explained in this thread. I still have to find out how to sort the different albums of each artist by year instead of by name... although this is a minor issue now :)

Thanks for all the help.

7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Since you are already using tricks, what about adding the 4-digit year in front of the album name...? Say, Steven Wilson's "The Harmony Codex" released last october I think, would become "2023 - The Harmony Codex"...

Resili22 likes this.
  8. Resili22

Resili22 New Member

Yes Nutul, you're totally right and that will fix it.... I am too lazy to edit around 700 titles though. ;)

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers,
    Jorge

9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It can be done automatically with shell commands, it requires some skills though, as well as some command-line metadata editing programs such as mediainfo / metaflac / etc. etc.
    Not the easiest of the tasks, not the heavier too. But then I hope Eversolo brings up a sorting-by-year option; honestly, that would be the best.

10. Monkey3017

Monkey3017 Member

To do so I am using different folders on my hard drive. I have the folders for the soundtracks, the samplers and another for any other album. In the any-other category I have folders with the letters A,B,C and so on which each contain all the albums of the artists with a name starting with the respective letter.

Be careful to add the 3 directories indiviually, not just the root directory.

In the music player under "Library" tab (you have to activate that) you can browse the directories you added. Unlike when browing using the file browser you can then use playlists and favorites, jump to the artist page etc.