Eversolo DMP-A6 DARKO REVIEW

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by 13thNote, Jul 30, 2023.

1. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

John talks Apple Music streaming in the DMP A6 (he also talks about it in the Fiio R7, but this is not relevant...)
    Watch from the beginning if you want to know more about the limitations and quirks about Apple Music; as the link starts just when the argument is dealt with.

2. kc001

kc001 Active Member

https://darko.audio/2023/10/10-more-thoughts-on-the-eversolo-dmp-a6-fiio-r7-for-apple-music/

Good point:
    "The R7 runs Android 10 because, according to FiiO, it comes tied to the SoC used inside the R7. Unfortunately, Google ceased issuing security updates for Android 10 in March of this year. The Android 11 running on the Eversolo DMP-A6 is still supported by Google — but for how long?"

Last line of the article:
    "I can definitely appreciate the irony of recommending Android devices to solve an Apple problem" :):p

3. kc001

kc001 Active Member

hahaha :)
    upload_2023-11-2_16-1-42.png
    upload_2023-11-2_16-1-7.png

Nutul likes this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Now... this is cool :)

5. cestmoi

cestmoi New Member

I am propably one of the few that think the analog stage sounds awfull???? but maybe I am spoiled using better dacs like the Chord Qutest, Gustard R26 & A26, musical fidelity nu vista tube dac etc..

For the m0ney propably good, but quite harsh sounding. The digital part is okay (but than you don't use the analog stage and the external dac takes over.

6. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Indeed, R2R Dacs (Chord or R26), cannot be compared with a silicon chip DAC (ESS or AKM type) in what you quote, I myself have the R26, some do not appreciate this kind of DAC prefer the others. Otherwise, the DMP A6 among the large number of ESS DACs, for example, does well.

7. cestmoi

cestmoi New Member

But my Musical fidelity uses a on chip too, a burr brown. Even that one doesn't sound harsh. Not as good as my chord or gustard, but better than the A6. and Gustard I have both the ESS version A26 and R26 (the first one is a sabre, but doesn't sound harsh, compared to the A6

the A6 sounds harsh fatiqueing after a few minutes and the bass sounds annoying to be honest (analog wise) when you hear base compared to the other dacs, with the A6 it sounds like someone hits a hard wooden box, and with the other dacs, the bass is smooth and deep. the treble has more sparkle.

Maybe I am used to better, but I expected more to be honest. (Even my tube musical fidelity xdac v8, sounds smoother and that one is 13 years old)

blackie likes this.
  8. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Your Nu-vista is still something special. I believe this brand uses mini tubes that operate in class A, which is even more liquid than the R2Rs, even though it uses ESS chips. Generally speaking, even with its products without the mini-tubes, the sound signature is characterised by silky smoothness and lots of warmth. In all three cases, these are top-of-the-range, highly musical devices.

9. Ray77

Ray77 Member

Interesting how some find the A6 sound (w internal DAC) just fine (like me) while others find it harsh. I can think of 2 reasons for my situation: 1) at my age, hearing limits at 8500 Hz so dog whistles don't bother me; 2) I use 300B (class A) tube amplification and Klipsch Heresy IV. The A6 did sound slightly more refined thru an older Weiss DAC. I wonder if adjusting the digital rolloff filters will have any effect? A parametric EQ feature can tame HF peakiness or LF boom. Will Eversolo will add this as a firmware feature in future? I used WiiM Pro Plus PEQ settings to emulate the warmer, fuller-bodied sound of a Node 2i. I'd rather change PEQ settings rather than chase better sound with an external DAC.

10. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

I'd say hypothesis 2, tube amplification like class A, otherwise digital roll-off filters have little effect, I use a minimum phase slow, which attenuates the high frequency dynamics a little. The combination of amplifier and speakers has an effect.

11. cestmoi

cestmoi New Member

it could also be that with some equipment you hear things too well. My speakers are martin logan ESL electrostatic speakers. Headphones hifiman he1000se with a burson 3 rx gt soloist headphone amp. you hear every detail but also every flaw.

(And my experience nomather what peq or eq you use, the effect is negative not positive)

and I think the eversolo for what it does is a bargain, but don’t like the analog output stage.

12. Ray77

Ray77 Member

I recall electrostatics are ultra clear and fast. Are you using solid state Class D amplification? I notice the Eversolo user manual describes Digital Filter characteristics in terms of soundstage (far, mid, close) and transient response (sharp, neutral).

13. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

I'm 53 with great hearing according to my doctor. I agree that when I use just the Eversolo's DAC, I get ear fatigue after an hour. But this also happens with my other Delta-Sigma chip dacs (Topping E50/E70, Bluesound Node, Arcam AVR5 gives me ear fatigue after 3 hours which is longer maybe because it uses a LPS linear power supply instead of a SMPS like the Topping/Bluesound).

But when I use an external R2R DAC Denafrips Ares II 12th with the Eversolo, I do not get ear fatigue and can listen for 8+ hours...same with my other R2r dac by Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1.

My setup:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    blackie likes this.
  14. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

Because all of the components share the same electrical circuit of the room and every component's power supply creates noise that impacts other components, upgrading the Eversolo's power supply reduces the noise on this component and reduces the noise impact on other components (such as the preamplifier, amplifier, DAC, DDC). So, the entire sound system benefits from a quieter power supply.

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I am not going to discuss the level of such noise as being, or not, audible.
    My point is, though, that according to your analysis, all the other components in the audio chain MUST be perfect from a PSU point of view... which - allow me the benefit of doubt - sounds a bit an overstatement, being the ordinary PSU of the Eversolo, although switching-mode, a very-low-noise one.

Ooops chaps, I forgot he has me on his ignore-list, and won't probably read this... maybe somebody could point it out for me - thanks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    RolandG likes this.
  16. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

him instead of me? :)

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yep. He would otherwise have already come up, arguing about my seriously damaged hearing below -130 dB...

RolandG and _Richard_ like this.