Esata 2,5 inch hard drive issue

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Michele985, May 20, 2017.

1. Michele985

Michele985 New Member Beta test group

HI everyone.
    I'm using a wd blue 1 terabyte sata hard drive connected using the esata port and the esata cable included in the box.

I have noticed two strange behaviours:
    - Costant spinning and i/o activity
    - short and cyclic stuttering if i watch movies stored on the drive

The hard drive is brand new, could it be a problem of power?
    Suggestions?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

3. Michele985

Thank you for your reply, i'm using the esata port (first from the left)

[​IMG]

4. Nice Monkey

I have not seen stuttering playing any BD's using External SATA, but hardly do so as I use a USB Docking Station normally. Power issues via SATA are very unlikely also seen the 3A PSU included with this player.

Tried a factory reset to clean the system?

5. Michele985

Not yet, i will try it.

If the issue persist even after factory reset i will go for a docking station solution too.

All works fine for other purposes (samba transfers, bittorrent, aria2, remote ftp to local drive transfers)

6. Michele985

Update on this point, i have finded the root cause.
    It was an Android service that scan media files and store results in an internal database: Media Storage.
    How to fix it: go into Settings -> App -> Click on three dots icon present in the top right corner and select the option to show system app -> Scroll down and select Media Storage -> Firstly force stop service and then go into memory usage and clear datas -> Reboot the box
    Voila, no more costant i/o activity!

I hope this will help other users facing the same issue.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

as a side not. sata port is not affected by the USB 3.0 bug. you should be able to write and read at full speed.

need more info on the shuttering, what shutter ? video ? sound ? how frequent, does it happen in all movies ?

8. Michele985

I agree, local speed transfers (gigabit ethernet, firmware 1.4.4) are way better using sata port instead of Usb3.

Shutters playing movies: frame blocks or 'slow motion effect' every two minutes (audio break down too when it happens).

Anyway the indexing fix posted yesterday have also fixed this shutter issue, so i think that the power supplied by the box via sata port is ok.

Last guess is what happens if i do some bittorrent downloads/local transfers while watching a movie.

We will see what happens, the first step is done :)

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i'm currently investigating a somewhat similar bug when using transmission. but not happens for me every 2 minutes, more like 15-30 minutes, but does not happen with transmission off. still testing,

10. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

Regarding to HDD, on newest firmware, is there an option to shut down hdd whenever we are not using them? or disable automatic hdd on on boot?

Thanks

11. Nice Monkey

Not that I am aware off. By my knowledge all Android based media players keep their HDD's always on and spinning.

12. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

I know on windows you should be able to setup a sleep time, like 10 minutes, if the HDD is not accessed it should spin down, tested only on USB 3.0 tho.