EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Hello, I found a good compromise using the AUTOMIX selection, using the output from the zidoo LLDV YUV 444 12 Bit.
    Basically both VS10 and DV are converted immediately without sync delay to HDR on the projector by the VERTEX2.
    I would like to ask you a question, is it better to use the CUSTOM or AUTOMIX check? In the sense that they have two different behaviors?
    If I use CUSTOM I use the EDIDs set by Vertex2, instead if I use AUTOMIX I decide the parameters chosen under the DV folder?

Thanks again and you have a happy Christmas

P.s VS10 Engine VS10 Engine ( for SDR, HDR DV Content) don't like too much , it is more plastic

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

And a very Merry Christmas to you too! :)

Automix and Custom essentially do exactly the same job in presenting an EDID to the source device, it's just the EDID that's different - any changes in sync time will be due to the display and how that reacts to HDMI mode changes and what HDMI modes change, which of course is down to both settings in the source (AFR etc) and the EDID.

Once the EDID is set, either with Automix or Custom, it's set, and has no bearing on sync time - there's no dynamic interaction there.

As far as using Automix vs Custom, it depends how much you want to get involved in what's in and more importantly what's not in the EDID. As you know there are a few preset Custom EDIDs to play with but the idea is to write your own.

All Automix does is to take the sink (amp/soundbar display etc) EDID and mix that with settings you specify. It's very clever and 99% of the time there is no issue doing that. However for more complicated sink EDIDs, since the EDID is only 256 bytes long, this can result in overflow, in which case some EDID blocks are lost or occasionally concatenated.

Personally I prefer to write my own EDIDs and use them as a Custom EDID rather than rely on Automix, but assuming Automix works correctly, as it does the vast majority of the time, there's really no advantage unless, as I do, you want to restrict certain EDID criteria.

Not sure what you mean by "plastic" - that description would normally fit when using frame interpolation leading to the dreaded "Soap Opera Effect" which neither the Vertex nor the Zidoo can do.

All the VS10 modes process the video in exactly the same way for any given HDR mode, it's just you chose on which HDR mode VS10 is applied - So VS10 for SDR, HDR and DV for example is exactly the same as VS10 for all content with the exception that the GUI is also processed.

I use VS10 to convert everything to LLDV, including the GUI, but if there are certain HDR modes you want to exclude from processing, you can do.

3. MVu

MVu New Member

Thanks Markswift2003 for all the EDIDs.

1. What does EDIDs with HDR10+ in the name do (BT.2020 1,000nit LLDV and HDR10+)?
    Does that mean if the film/file has HDR10+ support, the player-led source should leave it alone, pass thru, without tone map it to LLDV?

2. the 400, 1000 nits in the EDID file names...does that refer to DV luminance setting?

3. if I have a 350 nits max projector, will a 400 nits be better than the 1000 nits EDID?

Thanks again for all the help you're giving to the community.

4. Markswift2003

1. That has an HDR10+ block in the EDID so it tells the source it can show HDR10+. It's only for curiosity since there's no way to "spoof" HDR10+ in the same way you can LLDV since the display has to support it.

2. Yes, it's the value that the DV engine will tone map to.

3. Possibly - DV likes to tone map to 1000nits - that's the sweet spot, but that's generally in relation to displays that can reach that level - best thing to do is to try it and see.

serg fedorov likes this.
  5. MVu

MVu New Member

Please add a 400 nits with HDR10+ EDID (without 10bit/12bit 444 RGB) to the list. Thx

6. Markswift2003

It's on the list - but if your display doesn't support HDR10+, the HDR10+ block will make no difference..

7. MVu

MVu New Member

On the list, you have "BT.2020 400nit LLDV (10-bit 444/RGB, 12-bit 444/RGB, 12-bit 422) and HDR10+"

I have a Samsung LPS9T that supports HDR10+.
    I don't think the LPS9T supports 10-bit 444/RGB, 12-bit 444/RGB

8. Markswift2003

upload_2022-1-3_16-0-48.png

9. monacoville

monacoville New Member

What a fantastic thread. Got my Z10 PRO last week and just dipping my toe into all this EDID stuff. So far, i can get HDR10+ (the main reason for buying the z10) to pass through my non HDR10+ Soundbar using the stock Samsung EDID, but I get no DTS-X. Alternatively, i can get HDR10+ and DTS-X with the custom EDID's on here but can't stop it from going into DV for the films i have with a DV layer. Just wondering if there is an EDID with HDR10+ and DTS-X but no DV? My Samsung q80T is non DV and looks washed out when it kicks in.

Apologies in advance if I'm missing something simple. The amount of menus the z10 has is a little overwhelming.

My system is:

Z10 PRO
    Soundbar = LG SN11RG = DOLBY ATMOS, DTS-X (NO HDR 10+)
    TV = SAMSUNG Q80T HDR 10+, DOLBY ATMOS (NO DV, DTS, DTS-X)

10. Yar Dhar

Yar Dhar Member

If someone can shed some light, I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of buying a Vertex2. My reason is to display Dolby Vision LLDV movies on my HDR10 projector. My question is whether Vertex2 would make a big difference in picture quality and colors compare to HDR Mapping that I am using for everything in my Zidoo Z10 Pro.

11. Markswift2003

Here you go - HDR10+ and full audio with no LLDV:

https://mega.nz/file/BLgUhLIJ#fEwhOiZHtp2EWVaQO_w5teaHwY738nB50xC9kjegEVo

I've added it to the first page too.

12. Markswift2003

The Vertex makes no difference to the picture at all - it's not a video processor. What it can do is provide an LLDV EDID to the source so it thinks the display is LLDV but you can do that already with the Zidoo using "Custom EDID".

If you can switch your projector manually into HDR mode you don't need a Vertex.

The difference you see between HDR10 and LLDV will depend on your projector, how well it handles HDR10 and your setup.

serg fedorov likes this.
  13. Yar Dhar

Yar Dhar Member

Thanks Markswift2003 for your detailed reply. I have already set up my projector to HDR10 mode and using HDR Mapping on Zidoo for everything. Do you suggest that I should use another EDID that has LLDV and HDR10 both in Zidoo and if so please advise which one. There is not too many EDID options available in Zidoo. Thanks a lot for your help.

14. Markswift2003

If you select the BT.2020 LLDV EDID that will enable you to choose LLDV as an HDR option. You will of course still be able to use Mapping HDR10 if you want.

Success will depend on your projector - whether you can either set it manually to its HDR mode or set an ST.2084 (PQ) Gamma Curve and BT.2020 colour. What projector is it?

The Zidoo comes pre loaded with 3 EDIDs - the BT.2020 LLDV one (which I wrote), a Samsung HDR10+ one and another LLDV Sony one (which is only for curiosity since the colour primaries are specific to that Sony).

You can load as many custom EDIDs as you like - that's the idea - not sure what the limit is, but I've had 10 or so loaded at one time.

serg fedorov likes this.
  15. monacoville

monacoville New Member

Cheers for that matey, looks like there might be a problem with that EDID though. When i select it, the box freezes for a little while then a message pops up "setting not responding, close app".

16. Yar Dhar

Yar Dhar Member

My projector is Epson 6050UB and yes I can manually set it to HDR mode

17. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Markswift2003, does the "BT.2020 HDR10" posted on the first page allow for 3D and all possible video resolutions?

I ask because I just got the z9x and saved my TV's EDID, and then loaded it, but many of the resolutions/framerates my TV supports are actually not listed in the display options, even though the TV can definitely display them. My old Zidoo Z10 was the same way - 50Hz resolutions weren't available even though my TV could display them if forced. I think for some reason LG just chose not to list those framerates as supported in the EDID (or maybe it's my Onkyo receiver throwing it off). If I just let the Zidoo load the TV's EDID directly, or load the saved EDID, it shows this for available display options in the settings menu:

Auto
    3840x2160P 60Hz
    3840x2160P 30Hz
    3840x2160P 25Hz
    3840x2160P 24Hz
    3840x2160P 23Hz
    1080P 60Hz
    1080P 30Hz
    1080P 24Hz
    1080P 23Hz
    1080I 60Hz
    720P 60Hz
    480p

And it lists this for info on the EDID settings page:
    4k 60HZ(RGB:8 420:12 422:12 444:8)
    4k 30HZ(RGB:12 422:12 444:12)
    4k 24HZ(RGB:12 422:12 444:12)
    DV: Support
    HDR: Support
    3D: Not supported

My TV does fully support 3D (LG UH8500) and the Zidoo (and the Dune HD Real Vision 4k) both output 3D fine even though the EDID seems to say no 3D support.

But if I go into Other > About > Advanced Settings > System > Realtek Developer Options: Ignoring HDMI EDID (List all TV systems), I can then see all possible resolutions listed under the display setting:

Auto
    3840x2160P 60Hz
    3840x2160P 59Hz
    3840x2160P 50Hz
    3840x2160P 30Hz
    3840x2160P 29Hz
    3840x2160P 25Hz
    3840x2160P 24Hz
    3840x2160P 23Hz
    1080P 60Hz
    1080P 59Hz
    1080P 50Hz
    1080P 30Hz
    1080P 25Hz
    1080P 24Hz
    1080P 23Hz
    1080I 60Hz
    1080I 59Hz
    1080I 50Hz
    720P 60Hz
    720P 59Hz
    720P 50Hz
    576p
    480p
    PAL
    NTSC

And 50Hz output does display if I select it. So I'd like to keep all of those display options available, for when I play PAL or 50Hz content.

I want to try the "BT.2020 HDR10" because my TV handles Dolby Vision very poorly, so I want to load an EDID that gives me all video resolutions, but restricts the Zidoo to HDR10 output when using the VS10 engine for HDR processing. If I understand correctly, this should:

- allow me to take advantage of the VS10 tone mapping when playing mkv files that contain only HDR10
    - use the VS10 engine to output only the HDR10 layer when playing files that contain both DV and HDR10, ignoring DV

But I want to make sure it also supports 3D. Will the "BT.2020 HDR10" EDID work for me?

The Dune HD Real Vision 4k has a setting that allows me to disable DV and output only HDR10 - they actually added that feature upon my request - but as I reported to them, it doesn't work ideally for me because I get raised blacks when using VS10 with DV disabled, even though from what I'm hearing on AVS forums that shouldn't be the case. I bought the Zidoo hoping the custom EDID function would work out better for me. The Zidoo doesn't seem to have a setting to disable DV and force HDR10 when playing HDR or dual DV/HDR10 files with VS10, so I'm hoping the custom EDID will do the trick.

I'm wondering if my Onkyo A/V receiver is interfering with my EDID? My receiver supports 3D and does pass along 50Hz as well as HDR and DV, but I wonder if it isn't doing something that is messing up the TV's EDID report?

If the BT.2020 HDR10 EDID doesn't do what I need, could I upload my EDID as saved from the Zidoo, and you add the missing resolutions and disable DV for me?

Also, if I do select Realtek Devekoper Options: Ignoring HDMI EDID (List all TV systems), does that override/ignore whatever custom EDID is loaded? If I can get the EDID to work as I need to disable DV and make all video resolutions available, then I could disable that Ignore HDMI EDID setting. The only reason I use that setting right now is to enable 50Hz as an available resolution.

I did try loading my saved EDID into a couple different EDID editors but I couldn't find any options for DV or 3D so I didn't make any changes. Is there a program you could recommend I try that I could do this myself easily, without having to understand hex codes?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  18. Yar Dhar

Yar Dhar Member

Markswift 2003 you are so helpful boss. I switched to BT2020 LLDV, like you said, and even without HDR Mapping, Dolby Vision is displaying as HDR10. I can still select the HDR Mapping when I want for my SDR movies. This device is amazing and you are such a great helpful person.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  19. Markswift2003

That's odd - I just tried it here and it worked fine - I even downloaded the one from Mega to make sure the file hadn't corrupted during upload and that worked too... Maybe download it again?

Screenshot_20220116-123936.png

20. Markswift2003

First thing to say is why don't you try it?

Attached is a report of what's contained in that EDID and as you say if there's a resolution not listed that you want then you can set "ignore EDID" if you like.

None of my EDIDs specifically include 3D support but I don't think the EDID restricts that. 3d support (Stereo viewing) is selected in Block 1 of Detailed Timings/Display Descriptors.

And amp will always change the TV's EDID - it must of course add specific audio modes not necessarily supported by a TV and there will usually be other features that one will support but not the other. This is why I always ask people for two EDIDs - one from the amp/TV and one from just the TV.

I use Deltacast to edit EDIDs.

Dolby Vision isn't like HDR10+ which is just a switch - you won't see any details of the Dolby Block in an EDID since it's a proprietary "Vendor Specific Data Block" so all you'll see is a VSDB with 00D046 which is Dolby's IEE ID and a string of hex numbers. Those numbers define things like colour primaries, min/max nits, colour sub sampling modes etc.

Attached Files: