DV MKV fallback to HDR10.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Tural, Jun 12, 2023.

1. Tural

Tural New Member

hi, could someone help me to figure out why this file recognized as HDR10 instead of DV.
    HDR settings is auto

Here's the media info:

General
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4
    File size : 9.66 GiB
    Duration : 1 h 0 min
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 22.8 Mb/s
    Frame rate : 23.976 FPS
    Writing application : mkvmerge v75.0.0 ('Goliath') 64-bit
    Writing library : libebml v1.4.4 + libmatroska v1.7.1
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 1 h 0 min
    Bit rate : 20.6 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 0)
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.104
    Stream size : 8.74 GiB (90%)
    Writing library : x265 3.5+1-f0c1022b6:[Linux][GCC 10.2.1][64 bit] 10bit
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primar : BT.2020
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
    Maximum Content Light Level : 605 cd/m2
    Maximum Frame-Average Light Le : 376 cd/m2

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can't see any red flags in that MediaInfo.

Forgive the question but presumably you're using a Dolby Vision display and have other DV files that play in Dolby Vision?

3. Tural

Tural New Member

First, thank you for the response. Sorry, my bad, I forgot to mention that I don't have any issue with other DV MKV's.

4. Markswift2003

Ok, had to ask :)

I can only assume that this Profile 8 file has been badly remuxed as these players have no problem with Profile 8.

Personally I would steer clear of so called "hybrid" files since the RPU is from a completely different grading process to the HDR10 base layer - these files are best watched as intended, in HDR10.

If you want to PM me a link to the file I can take a look and see what's up with it.

Tural likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

Ok, I checked the file and it plays fine in DV here.

**EDIT**

Damn sorry - my bad this time...

That was on a Z9X Pro.

On a Z9X it plays in HDR10...

6. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

No comment here….‍:rolleyes::D:p

vddan, xskip and Markswift2003 like this.
  7. Markswift2003

Ok, so it's as I first commented - The file has been incorrectly muxed.

If I demux the base layer and remux the RPU back in correctly the file plays fine in DV on the Z9X.

I think this is a case of fair use on the basis of research, so this is a 60s snip of the file in question with the RPU now muxed correctly:

https://mega.nz/file/5KQBAZrC#WdQXJNuyC-uhquViefjE6Zfp4plPkgaljop0GRYA3VE

Please note that I haven't corrected the RPU to match the base layer video (remember, it came from a different video!) but just muxed it correctly. This RPU doesn't really match the video properly.

So again, steer clear of so called Hybrids!

As to why the Z9X Pro played the original in DV - I guess it's more tolerant of such errors.

vddan, xskip and leonkoum like this.
  8. Tural

Tural New Member

Well, big thanks for your investigation. I will try to avoid Hybrids then, good to know but I hope Z9X will get a firmware update to behave more tolerant with these kind of files..

vddan and Markswift2003 like this.
  9. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Keep in mind that even if the Z9x gets a firmware update to be more tolerant of those hybrids, doesn't mean that they will display as intended if they are remuxed incorrectly like yours was. So in a way, it was a blessing in disguise that it didn't play!

Tural and Markswift2003 like this.
  10. Markswift2003

Got to agree with that!

11. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Wait so what exactly are hybrid remuxes? They're combining the RPU from a streaming version with the hdr10 bluray version?

I always wondered why some HDR10 content streams as dolby vision on netflix for example. Hdtvtest compared rogue one streaming in dv to the hdr10 bluray, and showed that the dv streaming version looked way nicer, aside from the usual streaming compression artifacts.

12. Markswift2003

Yes, exactly that - complete waste of time.

All streaming companies encode their content to fit their platform so you'll often see vast differences in quality. Netflix "optimise" their content - for "optimise" read "compress for less bandwidth and storage" - essentially they embarked on a library wide shot based encoding project a couple of years go after they figured out they could get away with lower bitrates during Covid rather than the traditional fixed bitrate ladder. Not putting it down here by the way - it's actually quite clever!

They have separate encodes for standard 8-bit and premium 10-bit customers and also HDR10 and DV Profile 5 encodes where applicable. But you'll often see the BluRay releases produced in HDR10 only for content that has streamed elsewhere in Dolby Vision - this depends on many factors, but essentially it's the customer's choice with many factors to the decision.

I won't comment on HDTVTest thinking the streaming version was "way nicer" :D:D

xskip likes this.
  13. vddan

vddan Active Member

YES !!!!!!!!!!! We would like to know more !!!
    When ..... a complete test .......o_O:cool:;)

14. Jimbo Randy

I would be interested to hear your opinion on why you prefer the hdr10 Blu-ray versions over the dv streaming versions. I'm not disagreeing with you in any way. I'm just really interested in your opinion! You don't need to comment on what hdtvtest. I'm just curious what you think.

And for netflix, what do you mean by stardard 8 bit and premium 10 bit customers? Like which tier plan you have? The 1080p or 4k plan?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  15. Markswift2003

What I was saying was not so much an opinion on preferring the HDR10 version over the streaming version but more about viewing the HDR10 version as it is supposed to be viewed and not slapping an RPU on there that was never supposed to go with that grade. Yes the scene transitions will be the same assuming the same cut so the RPU can be synced but production decisions will absolutely not be so there is just no merit in doing it for the sake of seeing a Dolby Vision symbol flash up.

But generally I would chose an HDR10 grade produced for a BluRay disc over a much more compressed DV grade churned out by the streaming companies - again, not to denigrate what they do as it's rather clever, but it is a production line rather than a production process. Also, lossless audio is way way more dynamic than compressed - a lossy E-AC3 mix can't make the plaster fall off the walls the way a lossless mix can ;)

Yes, Netflix's entire catalog is stored as 8-bit SDR content with profiles up to 1080p for the lower tiers and then premium titles have additional 10-bit encodes up to 4K for the premium tier in SDR, HDR10 and Profile 5 DV depending on the content.

Pete B, Jimbo Randy and xskip like this.
  16. Jimbo Randy

Thanks for your input, as always! It's always very interesting.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

Very welcome ;)

18. Verve

Verve New Member

How do you determine a file has been incorrectly muxed? Can you just see it from the mediainfo? Or do you have to open it up with some software presumably?

19. Markswift2003

I was just using the term mux loosely - It's not simple muxing when it comes to Dolby Vision in the way we're used to muxing video and audio - the RPU has to be correct and the file properly Dolby compliant.

You definitely won't see this in MediaInfo, but you can extract the RPU into a JSON file and inspect it but here it's simply a case of the suspect file not working and one I've produced myself from the same source files, that I know is Dolby compliant, does work. There was no need to delve any further.

As I say, some players are more forgiving of these home brew files and it seems that's the case with the new ones.