DSD support for DMP-A6 DAC connected to Mac

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by dmp6, Jan 6, 2024.

Tags:
  1. dmp6

dmp6 Member

I’ve connected the DMP-A6 through the USB-C input to a Mac Mini 2014 running Big Sur. Is DSD playback supported in this configuration?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

If the software on the Mac can stream native DSD, then yes, it is, as the A6 is calable of playing DAD native. Otherwise... well... nope.

3. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Well I’m running HQPlayer and it’s converting everything to PCM, hence I asked.

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Then you answered yourself already. HQPlayer cannot deal with DSD: it converts it to PCM (which is legit, and has no drawbacks)

You may want to read this: http://www.essentialaudio.com/1-Bit-Is-Bad.pdf and you'll reconsider DSD... it leans towards technicalities, but it's worth a read - it cleared my mind, hope it helps you too.

5. dmp6

dmp6 Member

HQPlayer absolutely deals with DSD and the question wasn’t about DSD theory or HQP capabilities, but whether the AMP6 supports DSD over USB.
    I just figured out that you need to send DSD as DoP, but it seems to be limited to DSD256, while the manual says DSD512. I’ll reach out to support anyway. Thanks.

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

This is utterly weird. I agree the A6 should (as it states) support native DSD, and up to DSD512. All of this, of course, only on USB input, or played locally. Streaming may induce further limitations.

7. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Nutul likes this.